2862Ln and 3 SIM/Dongle

• mikeredfern
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
11 Mar 2018 09:55 #1 by mikeredfern
2862Ln and 3 SIM/Dongle was created by mikeredfern
Just to note that the 2862Ln as delivered in Feb 2018 did not work with the 3 USB Dongle, or the SIM removed from the dongle and inserted in rear SIM slot.
However once the fw was updated to 3.8.8 the SIM in slot was recognised (though the SIM + Dongle continues to not work - ZTE MF730M is model on label, but confusingly the Three UI lists i9t as a Huawei E1550 as well).

Tried to send SMS but did not work, may have to fiddle with settings.

One question which I have not worked out from the Vigor UI yet - can I remotely control the Vigor by calling the SIM number or (assuming SIM connected to 3G) by coming in via SIM IP address? This would be handy as there is no ADSL installed yet and it would enable me to remotely set up the Vigor for ADSL/Fibre without being on site.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• silverstreak_2006
  • User
  • User
More
12 Mar 2018 07:49 #2 by silverstreak_2006
Replied by silverstreak_2006 on topic Re: 2862Ln and 3 SIM/Dongle
Plug the dongle in a laptop or computer, and check the subnet does not conflict with anything configured in your router.

• mikeredfern
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
12 Mar 2018 11:48 #3 by mikeredfern
Replied by mikeredfern on topic Re: 2862Ln and 3 SIM/Dongle
Hi - sorry, not sure what you mean.
I believe (could be wrong) that it is the SIM (whether in the dongle or out of it) that picks up an IP address (to access the public internet), and as the SIM works in the slot at the rear without the dongle (picking up e.g. 10.142.xxx.134) I'm thinking that the IP address can't be the issue?
The dongle (with SIM) does work in a laptop USB slot but of course then it has nothing to do with the Vigor.
For the record, we've left the IP addressing of the Vigor as on delivery.

Thanks

• silverstreak_2006
  • User
  • User
More
12 Mar 2018 14:13 #4 by silverstreak_2006
OK

I was refering to the Dongle. You should get a local IP range when plugged in on the laptop / computer, and the same on the Draytek. If you are using the Draytek with just the primary LAN1 subnet enabled, I assume that 192.168.1.x address is not what the dongle is configured for then?

Regards

• mikeredfern
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
15 Mar 2018 10:09 #5 by mikeredfern
Replied by mikeredfern on topic Re: 2862Ln and 3 SIM/Dongle
Hi, sorry still confused.

Every USB dongle I have ever used (for 3G etc) only displays an IP address once connected to the provider in question (e.g. o2 etc.) and that IP address is always of the 10.x.x.x, 100.x.x.x etc. type variety, not the 192.168.x.x variety. I assume that once it connects via 3G to the provider's network hardware the latter DHCPs it an IP address from its own address pool?

So, no conflict possible IP-address wise with local equipment AFAIK.

Thanks

• silverstreak_2006
  • User
  • User
More
17 Mar 2018 09:29 #6 by silverstreak_2006
Mike

Correct.