WAN Schedule to save data allowance

• qwaz01
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
15 Mar 2018 12:14 #1 by qwaz01
WAN Schedule to save data allowance was created by qwaz01
My customer has a Vigor 2862 with LTE connected to two WAN's. WAN1 is a leased line but only 2Mbs , WAN2 is 50Mbs Vodafone 4G/LTE but with a 50GB monthly data cap. I have all the computers using WAN2 but every month they are hitting the 50GB limit, the Servers and VOIP are using the leased line.

Is it possible to schedule the computers to only use the WAN2 (4G/LTE) during office hours and then switch back to the leased line outside of that. My thoughts are for things like Windows update/ AV updates etc will consume bandwidth overnight that i dont want them to. Either by scheduling a routing rule or dropping WAN2 outside of office hours?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2018 12:32 #2 by admin3
Replied by admin3 on topic Re: WAN Schedule to save data allowance
You can do something similar to scheduling traffic through a WAN by specifying the hostname(s) of your update servers in a load balance policy rule, so that those are sent over WAN1 only, instead of using the LTE WAN, but you would need to know which hostnames use the most data.

If you do need to schedule load balance / route policy rules, I recommend contacting the support team to request the feature.

Forum Administrator

• qwaz01
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
15 Mar 2018 12:36 #3 by qwaz01
Replied by qwaz01 on topic Re: WAN Schedule to save data allowance
The big bandwidth hog will be Windows Update but its almost impossible to get the IP ranges to route them. Unless you know of any tricks apart from having a WSUS setup?

• mbames
  • User
  • User
More
19 Mar 2018 15:35 #4 by mbames
Replied by mbames on topic Re: WAN Schedule to save data allowance

qwaz01 wrote: The big bandwidth hog will be Windows Update but its almost impossible to get the IP ranges to route them. Unless you know of any tricks apart from having a WSUS setup?

Most sensible option would be to run WSUS (or similar) internally. That way the updates are only downloaded once and then deployed to the clients after appropriate testing / when ready.