IPV6 with Google Wifi behind Draytek Router on Sky

• oakserver
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
20 Mar 2018 18:18 #1 by oakserver
Hi,

My 2862n is currently my home router connected to Sky Broadband Fibre using the Sky MER protocol. The 2862 behaves well and obtains both an IPV6 and IPV4 address from Sky.

Clients connecting directly to the 2862n wireless network obtain a IPV6 address and score 10/10 for IPV6 connectivity tests. All good.

However, if I introduce a Google Wifi router to Lan port 1 (LAN1), set DMZ to the IP of the Google Wifi (192.168.0.10) then connect all my wireless clients to the Google Wifi (with IPV6 enabled) none of the wireless devices obtain an IPV6 address.

Looking at the 2862’s IPV6 DHCP status screen there are no IPV6 addresses being handed out by the router - I would expect at least one to the Google Wifi. I do see an IPV4 DHCP issued to the Google wifi, but that's all.

Has anyone managed to set up IPV6 successfully using a Google Wifi connected to the Draytek router yet or know what settings I might need to change to get it to work correctly.

I need some kind of DHCPV6 passthrough for the Google Wifi to function but I don't know that much about how IPV6 operates.

Any advice welcomed, thanks :)
Thanks.

PS I've included the Google Wifi notes on IPV6:

Turn on IPv6
When IPv6 is enabled on Google Wifi, it uses the DHCPv6 protocol on its WAN port to request an address from your ISP. If the ISP supports the DHCPv6 protocol and has provisioned addresses for routers, then the router will obtain its own IPv6 address. Google Wifi then starts sending IPv6 routing advertisements to clients to allow them to pick and validate their own IPv6 addresses using a procedure called StateLess Address AutoConfiguration (SLAAC or 'slack'). So overall, the availability of IPv6 involves support by your ISP, your Google Wifi router system, your client devices, and the nature of the applications which run on the devices. IPv6 support must be available on all these entities for it to work.

Note: Google Wifi uses a dual-stack implementation, which means that IPv4 traffic and IPv6 traffic will coexist on the same network (both wired and wireless). Google Wifi does not support IPv6 transitional protocols such as 6to4 or 6rd.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2019 12:16 #2 by gdawes
I have the same issue with Ubuiti Unifi devices behind their gateway device connected to an 2862N.

I have tried making the gateway device do the dhcp handshakes to sky with no luck. by putting the 2862N in bridging mode.

Also when in bridge mode the ipv6 dhcp client still seems to grab a lease, it dont leave it for the bridged device to grab.
I know it seems a waste of IPV6 but I think it would almost be easier to have the google/ubituiti device pull the ipv6 lease from the draytek.

Other idea I had but dont know how to do is to fix the ip6 address of the device behind the draytek?

I am wondering about sub delegating, or what options can be set on this screen, in the ipv6 DHCP server config
I cant find any information or instructions on configuring DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation

LAN >> General Setup

DHCPv6 Server
Authentication Protocol
Prefix Delegation Enable Disable
Prefix 2A02:C7F:96AB:xxx::/56

DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation

New Prefix
:
:
:
::/64
Suffix
:
:
:
New Prefix Length
(0~64)
Client Link Local Address
Client DUID(option)

Prefix Prefix Length Link Local DUID

• richard1234
  • User
  • User
More
11 Sep 2019 16:46 #3 by richard1234
oakserver I am not familiar with Google Wifi but you may find my replies today to two of gdawes other posts relevant (although I suspect you may have more than a prefix delegation problem).