Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2862AC and AP902

• bennyh
  • Topic Author
More
26 Mar 2018 21:51 #1 by bennyh
2862AC and AP902 was created by bennyh
Hi guys

I bought the 2862AC and AP902, the 2862AC is replacing the BT router, and the AP902 is positioned in the opposite corner of the house (thick walls in between rooms), there is a network cable running around the house (most of it externally) linking these two devices.

I asked the Sales team before hand if getting these two devices, I could create a so called Mesh WiFi network (I know it's not really Mesh but the idea that it acts as one large WiFi network), and was told yes, these two would do the job.

My requirements are for 3 SSIDs on their own VLANs with a different IP range for each, which have been configured on the 2862AC:
1st for full LAN access
2nd for Guests with no LAN Access (isolated) and
3rd for devices, like TV's.

On the 2862AC, all working fine, I can connect to the different WiFi networks, pickup an IP, internet works, all good.

So the question is, what is the best way to extend the wireless network using ethernet backhaul with the AP902? Most of the guides suggest connecting the AP to the router using wireless but I got a cable plugged in to the AP902 on the other side of the house, if I could pick up a WiFi signal there, I wouldn't have bothered with the additional AP.

Has anyone done something similar, if so, can you let me know how you have done it please?

I created a WLAN profile with the same WiFI networks, password, and applied to the AP (which in most cases shows up as Offline - the password is correct but it requires a restart to get it back online), this copies the WiFi networks, but I cannot get an IP address.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bennyh
  • Topic Author
More
29 Mar 2018 14:22 #2 by bennyh
Replied by bennyh on topic Re: 2862AC and AP902
Ok, so speaking to Support, the AP was configured as AP, the SSID's replicated (manually) onto the AP, (i was trying to get the 2862AC to manage it fully but don't seem to be able to), with a VLAN tag per LAN and SSID.
The port where the AP is connected onto the 2862AC is configured as a trunk, well, all the different LAN's setup have been selected on that particular port so that all traffic is recognised, no other way to configure a port as trunk that I could see.

Current setup:
3 LAN
LAN 1 (VLAN10) - 192.168.1.x - main LAN, plugged in devices (via 2862AC or AP902) and SSID1
LAN 2 (VLAN20) - 192.168.2.x - SSID2
LAN 3 (VLAN30) - 192.168.3.x - SSID3

Devices are picking up the correct IP from the various SSID's etc, when connecting to the 2862AC or the AP902, but I have an issue where:
- if I connect to SSID1 on the AP, which is the LAN1 and which my servers are part on - physically connected a switch which in turn is connected to a port on the AP actually - I am unable to ping them!
- If I connect to the other side where the 2862AC is to the same SSID1, I can ping the servers!
- If I plug my laptop into the back of the AP, i get an IP from the LAN1 range (which SSID1 is part of) and can ping the servers, just not via SSID1!
- from SSID1 on the AP, i can only ping the gateway (2862AC) and the AP902
- from a server connected to the AP902, I cannot ping any device connected to SSID1 on the AP itself

This is a routing issue, surely, VLAN tagging is working as that is how I am getting an IP for the various SSID's.

Any ideas in how to resolve this?
many thanks

• bennyh
  • Topic Author
More
30 Jul 2018 19:01 #3 by bennyh
Replied by bennyh on topic Re: 2862AC and AP902
Ok, to give you a further update, in case someone else needs a similar setup.

I replaced my previous switch with a TP-Link TG-SG108E, which supports VLANs etc, it's a smart switch, but basic.

VLAN's work properly, communication between the networks is good too. previously, VLAN's did not work properly even if the communication was on the Draytek kit only.