DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

DSL light flashes constantly but line OK

• timsim
  • Topic Author
More
02 Apr 2018 08:44 #1 by timsim
I have a Vigor 130 modem but cannot connect because the DSL connection is not established using it. The light flashes constantly.
I believe the line is sound because I have another old router which connects and the DSL light is solid.
Are there any checks I can make to establish where the fault could be?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2018 09:15 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: DSL light flashes constantly but line OK
Presumably the ISP settings / VLAN tag in the connected router are all OK?

• timsim
  • Topic Author
More
02 Apr 2018 16:33 #3 by timsim

Piste Basher wrote: Presumably the ISP settings / VLAN tag in the connected router are all OK?

As far as I can see the ISP settings are correct with the exception of the PVC/PVI value. This shows 38 whereas on my old router it was 32.
Not all of the ISP settings are found in the Vigor setup however. For example, there appears to be no place to insert my username and password set by the ISP.

As for the VLAN tag this is zero and it does not seem possible to change this. I have an ADSL service.

I should say that I am interrogating the modem without connecting it to the ADSL line as it is not convenient to do so at present.

Thanks

More
03 Apr 2018 09:31 #4 by piste basher
The ISP username and password are set in the connected router, not in the 130. You haven't mentioned which router you are using. If you are connecting to the 130 via a PC then you will need to set up a PPPoE dial up connection in the PC, again using your ISP credentials.

• timsim
  • Topic Author
More
03 Apr 2018 10:20 #5 by timsim

Piste Basher wrote: The ISP username and password are set in the connected router, not in the 130. You haven't mentioned which router you are using. If you are connecting to the 130 via a PC then you will need to set up a PPPoE dial up connection in the PC, again using your ISP credentials.

My ISP advised me that I should have a constant green DSL led on the Vigor 130 before proceeding to any attempt at connection either directly from PC (Mac) or via a router so I am hoping to solve that problem first.
I did not realise that direction connection of a PC to the Vigor needed a dial up connection so thanks for that info. If I solve the blinking DSL Led problem I'll connect my router (Linksys WRT1900ACS) and then try to configure things for an internet connection but I was hoping to connect through the modem first to establish that it works.

Many thanks for your help.
Tim

More
03 Apr 2018 16:56 #6 by piste basher
As far as I recall you will only get a constant green LED when the session to the ISP is established - i.e. when the credentials are present. Your ISP has omitted to mention that bit? If you have been changing the 130 settings I would suggest factory resetting it as it should work "out of the box" with most UK ISPs. The blinking LED suggests that it is working fine so just connect your router and go from there.