DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Odd behaviour of iOS devices and AP902

• piste basher
  • Topic Author
More
08 Apr 2018 14:46 #1 by piste basher
Odd behaviour of iOS devices and AP902 was created by piste basher
I have a 2862ac in my "office" upstairs and an AP902 connected to it by LAN cable in the lounge downstairs. Frequently, iOS devices (iPhone X, iPad Pro and iPad mini) connected to the AP902 mysteriously "lose" their internet connection. They are still connected to the network, report the router as their default gateway and I can log in to the router on 192.168.1.1 but any attempt to use a browser or email results in a "this device is not connected to the internet" message.
All Draytek and Apple devices are on the latest firmwares.

If at this point I move the device upstairs so that it connects to the router wifi instead of the AP902 it works perfectly, internet access is restored.

Mobile device management is not activated on the AP902. I am at a loss to understand what could be happening here. Any ideas anyone?

As an aside, although maybe relevant?, what does "Apple iOS keep alive" actually do? Why should Apple iOS be "dead"? and if the network connection is still present why could this be relevant, if it is?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• piste basher
  • Topic Author
More
12 Apr 2018 12:57 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Odd behaviour of iOS devices and AP902
I "think" that I may have cured the iOS problem by turning WMM on on all devices. We shall see. However, yesterday my 2862ac did what my 2925 started doing (and the reason I swapped from the 2925 to the 2862...) - namely, all lights on the router happily showing no problems but all devices on the LAN, both wired and wireless, reporting that they had no network connection :shock: Only cure is to physically turn off the router and re-start it. I hope this isn't a harbinger of doom...

• piste basher
  • Topic Author
More
12 Apr 2018 21:48 #3 by piste basher
As I feared, about 10 minutes ago all devices were dropped from the LAN and I have had to restart the router for the second time in 24 hours in order to restore the connections. This is beyond a joke, first the 2925 did this and now the 2862. I have used Draytek products for many years but I am not a happy bunny at all now.

• silverstreak_2006
  • User
  • User
More
13 Apr 2018 13:58 #4 by silverstreak_2006
Replied by silverstreak_2006 on topic Re: Odd behaviour of iOS devices and AP902
What does support say? Sounds like it is the AP

• piste basher
  • Topic Author
More
22 Apr 2018 10:35 #5 by piste basher
I've been away for a week and had the router re-booting every night in case everything went down again. Now I'm back I've removed that schedule and will see what happens. Hard to see how it could be the AP since all PC's wired directly to the router ports lose their network connections as well.

• piste basher
  • Topic Author
More
27 Apr 2018 19:03 #6 by piste basher
Well all has been running well since last Sunday. I came in this evening and booted a PC to check the router. It appears to have re-booted itself around 6pm for no apparent reason, but everything seemed to be working fine for about 40 minutes, then the PC I was on reported it had no internet access. At this point I could still access a NAS on the LAN but I could not access the router :roll: Then all other devices began to drop off the LAN and PC's reported that they were not connected to a network, with "no valid IP address". Only solution was to switch the router off and back on again. Sounds suspiciously like an IP address conflict to me but all PC's and NAS plus many IOT devices are all on fixed (bound) IP addresses. Very frustrating.