4G Instability

• qwaz01
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
11 Apr 2018 16:57 #1 by qwaz01
4G Instability was created by qwaz01
I have a Vigor 2862Ln with a Vodafone 4G Sim card installed, the connection gets very good signal (Strength -50dBm & Quality 50dB) and speedtests around 50Mbs download. Using load balancing when i move a couple of users over to the 4G it works great and huge increase in speed (other connection is 3Mbs leased line) but as i move more over i start getting random drop outs and disconnects and have to move everyone back over. The Vodafone Sim is a monthly rolling 50GB Data Only sim card (link below) so i wonder if thats the issue? I can get a 100GB Vodafone Business Sim but its on a 24 month contract so im worried about taking it out and finding out the issue is the Draytek or signal. Has anyone else got any experience of this?

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/bundles-and-sims/sim-only-data-bundles/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• silverstreak_2006
  • User
  • User
More
13 Apr 2018 14:05 #2 by silverstreak_2006
Replied by silverstreak_2006 on topic Re: 4G Instability
I have noticed something simliar, and I call it the Vodafone "2 2" issue.

Every TWO days, the connections will drop, and give you a fresh CGNAT connection.

If you "hammer the connection", after two gig, you will get around a thirty second ban, and again, a new connection will establish itself.

If you hit the two gig "limit", again, you will be disconnected, but shouldn't suffer the ban and is like the first sentence, a case of the Modem establishing a new connection.

The company I work for recently upgraded phones, and asked what we all wanted, we were given a choice. I requested SIMO with as much data as possible, and they got me the 50 gig package, this must be a business package. I noticed the "hammer" bit was gone, but haven't tried the sim in something reputable (like the Draytek L series), to see if I get reconnected every two days, I would imagine they might.

Hope this helps

• qwaz01
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
13 Apr 2018 14:26 #3 by qwaz01
Replied by qwaz01 on topic Re: 4G Instability
Thanks Pete

I'm going to see if I can get a business SIM and test that.

Also, I wonder if its worth scheduling a nightly router reboot to reset the 4G connection?

• silverstreak_2006
  • User
  • User
More
13 Apr 2018 15:23 #4 by silverstreak_2006
Yes you could do that, let me know how you get on, I'm busy over the weekend, otherwise i would remove the company SIM that I have and test to see if it exceeds 48 hours.

I assume you are using an internal L / LN router mode and not a dongle? I can't see the posts while I actually type this one, so excuse my ignorance, I kind of jumped on the annoying Vodafone issue. Try Googling it, and you can see some things that could relate to the issue, but do not fingerprint it directly. As I siad, you need a proper router, or keep watch in a Dongles firmware.

Best test is Apple iCloud backups, or large WeTransfer's, just make sure you have enough Data, as the Vodafone 250meg £6.50 will soon add up.

• silverstreak_2006
  • User
  • User
More
19 Apr 2018 09:19 #5 by silverstreak_2006
Hi Qwaz

Last night, I moved the sim cross, and run some streaming to the effect of 5 gig. This is a business sim only for my place of employment.

So far I have pulled 5 gig, and 13 hours. I will update if the 48 hours is exceeded like standard commercial packages, I imagine it would update the 48 hours, but would that be a problem, if you could time it to out of hours?

• qwaz01
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
19 Apr 2018 09:28 #6 by qwaz01
Replied by qwaz01 on topic Re: 4G Instability
Thanks Pete. I have ordered a Vodafone 4G 100GB Business Sim so will give that a try.