Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Remote access via WAN1 misery (update)

• nieldm
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
17 Apr 2018 08:06 #1 by nieldm
I am 99.99% sure this is merely me doing something stupid, but 'all of a sudden' I can't access my 2860 remotely via WAN1. I have a backup 4g modem on WAN2 and that is working fine, but far from optimal when I want to view streaming webcams....

I suspected firmware 3.8.7 so downgraded to 3.8.5.3, which I know was working. I cannot think of a change I have made that would cause this and anyway, if I had, surely the issue would affect WAN2 as well? I don't have, nor am I smart enough to configure, any fancy firewall rules. My load balancing settings default all traffic to WAN1. The issue is identical whether I use the WAN1 WAN IP or the DDNS address, which is updating correctly. I had it set in Maintenance/Management to HTTPS only but checked HTTP as well just now, to no avail. I cannot ping either, which led me to the Management page, but Disable Ping from Internet is un-checked.

This is driving me marginally potty, not helped by the fact that the wife can't see her vegetable beds on the webcam. Can anyone help put me out of my misery?

UPDATE : I called my ISP (Origin Broadband.... I see heads shaking) who tell me that there is something about their dynamic IP address that means that ping and remote access aren't possible. Sadly I only got to level 2 support so he had no idea why this is the case and the network team wouldn't take my call, so I have no idea whether this is b/s or not.

Marc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
17 Apr 2018 17:41 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Remote access via WAN1 misery (update)
Personally, I would establish an inbound VPN connection to your 2860 and access your Webcams that way. If you've (just) remapped ports, you may well find that http://shodan.io has catalogued them and you're not the only person accessing them!

Otherwise, try Shield's UP!! , to see if your expected ports are open?

• mbames
  • User
  • User
More
18 Apr 2018 22:09 #3 by mbames
Replied by mbames on topic Re: Remote access via WAN1 misery (update)
I'm assuming that Origin are issuing a proper IP address and not natting it? My parents use them and see to be a plusnet IP address, but pretty sure that origin flog services from various other ISPs). I have the parents router registering with a DDNS host and a site to site VPN set up (from their 2820 to my 2925) with no issues at all.