DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860ac router & VigorSwitch G2280 - No central management?

• sun-e
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
29 Apr 2018 13:40 #1 by sun-e
Hi - I'm hoping that this as my 1st post here can prove helpful as I'm banging my head against a brick wall with my issue :-/

My infrastructure consists of:-

• Vigor 2860ac router (f/w ver. 3.8.7 bt) with a Virgin Media Business Broadband FTTC cable connection @ 300Mbit (using one of those terrible Hitron Routers upstream in modem-only mode thankfully!)

• VigorSwitch G2280 (f/w ver. 2.3.0) as a very recent purchase, strategically intended be the core switch (directly connected to my Vigor router via copper port 28), down-stream from which are a further 'hotch-potch' of 3 different mamanged L2 switches ...

• Cisco 2960 series PoE 24 port 10/100 L2 switch on the G2280's copper trunk 25 (as a downstream access switch)

• HP Pro-Curve L2 Managed 48+2 port switch connected via fibre to the G2280's SPF port 26

• Cisco Catalyst 2950 series 16 port 10/100 'Fred Flinstone' aged L2 Manaed switch connected via fibre to SPF port 27

• An HP Proliant DL380 G7 series rack server running my VMware vPhere 6 / ESXi hypervisor virtual environment with 6x Gbit NICs split as a team of 2 NICs exclusively for the SAN / iSCSI storage subnet and the remaining 4 (+ the dedicated ILO nic) teamed for the vmware, production & other v-switch subnets underlying the virtual estate. This beasty finally shares the SAN / iSCSI storage subnet with a Synology 32TB NAS with 2x bonded NICs presented to the LAN as a 2Gbit entity config'd for the SAN subnet, also as well as a 'stuff-load' of the other core services and protocols i've ladenned it with.

So here's where I've come unstuck...
I purchased the G2280 switch because of it's vast array of very admin-time slashing and 'aggravation evaporating' features (as I'm sure many other users have similarly); added to which, I already own a 2860 series router, which can of course act in it's centralised co-ordinative capacity to configure switches like the G2280 (allegedly) and an abundance of other Draytek remotely manageable products. ...... So why, even if I've upgraded the Firmware in the switch to v2.3.0, am I unable to start off not just by getting my switch to be visible as an external device - But Critically as a selectable device to manage integrally from my router's web GUI - Which I can't no matter what I've tried frustratingly.

Folks, can any of you help or point me to my answer? ... Can The 2860ac router (running v3.8.7 firmware) control & configuring the Vigorswitch G2280 (with v2.3.0 firmware on it) as the specs and boastful features clearly say is / will imminently be possible (Q1 2018 was quoted if relevantly).

Ben Shotbolt
Sun-E Solutions Ltd.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2018 09:29 #2 by admin3
Please contact support for firmware for the Vigor 2860 series that supports Central Switch Management of the VigorSwitch G2280, it appears that the current 3.8.7 release firmware does not include support for that switch. There is beta firmware available that does though.

Forum Administrator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.