Vigor130 & TP-Link TL-R600VPN

• mychips70
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
04 May 2018 08:54 #1 by mychips70
Vigor130 & TP-Link TL-R600VPN was created by mychips70
I have just installed a Vigor 130 & TP-Link-R600VPN and have noticed a downgrade in speed. I was getting around 58 download and around 7-8 upload but have gone to around 40 download and 5-6 upload. this is compared to the old BTHub that was in use.

I have a Cat6 cable between the router and modem and standard telephone cable length to the wall socket.

I appreciate that this maybe due to BT/Exchange to regrade the line as it has been switched off and on a few times but how long would it take to become "normal" again. To be fair I've not spoken to BT as it was not supplied by them so unsure if they could help or be willing to help.

I have the latest BT firmware loaded into the Vigor130 and purchased new 2 weeks ago.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
04 May 2018 09:04 #2 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Vigor130 & TP-Link TL-R600VPN
Well it is possible the DSLAM got upset and altered your line profile.

You can check your stats on the Vigor 130 interface , the Web Console is accessed from the middle button, top left of the pane.

The commands vdsl status and vdsl status more will bring up the stats.

The other thing to try is change the firmware to the one available in the folder marked "Alternative" on the download page, that's what I use and for many people is a lot more stable.

If the DSLAM is sulking it can be 2 days - 3 weeks before lines return to their previous state.

• mychips70
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
04 May 2018 09:30 #3 by mychips70
Replied by mychips70 on topic Re: Vigor130 & TP-Link TL-R600VPN
Thank you for your reply.

I will let it get through its "sulking" phase and try the alternative firmware incase that doesn't improve enough.

Again thanks for the assistance

• wilsodg
  • User
  • User
More
04 May 2018 21:50 #4 by wilsodg
Replied by wilsodg on topic Re: Vigor130 & TP-Link TL-R600VPN
One way to find out if BT have 'downgraded' you is to use the BTWholesale Broadband Performance tester
http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/
When you have run the speed test, select further diagnostics. (Incidentally, BT speed test gives crazy results at the moment - mine is showing 300mb download on a line rated at 75)
Pop in your phone number, and it will come back with your IP profile for upload and download. That is your max. If it is less than you believe you should get, then you have 2 options.
1. Wait and hope. It does not always reset - we had one running low for months.
2. Call them and get through to second level. Tell them you want the IP profile reset because you were messing with the equipment and it has set it low. They will tell you they cannot change it, but if you are polite and persistent then you might get to speak to someone who knows their onions, and they will set it back for you. It usually takes about an hour to filter through, sometimes overnight though. We have done it loads of times.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
05 May 2018 09:01 #5 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Vigor130 & TP-Link TL-R600VPN
That only applies if your ISP is BT .

The fact that you need to keep phoning them to get a line reset shows there is a line/exchange problem that BT are not fixing properly.

I moved from BT based FTTC to a TalkTalk Business based package via UNO. The difference in connection quality and stability is amazing.

Average latency is constantly low and stable, with BT pings and Snr spiked all day long , a ping monitor looked like a seismograph on the San Andreas fault line.