Make 2860 a modem to use Pfsense

• dazza1234
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
25 Jun 2018 14:42 #7 by dazza1234
Replied by dazza1234 on topic Re: Make 2860 a modem to use Pfsense
Done! Finally got this sorted and PfSense working the way I want to. I just deleted the user name and password and then you select wire through lan on the Internet part of the router and that’s it, now I don’t have to worry about flakey firmware updates that make the VDSL connection much worse than they do better. A plus my pings are a lot lower than they where with the router granted now I’m my own DNS server as appose to using my isp, quad 9, google or Cloudflare from 11ms to 12ms I’m now down to 7ms to 8ms on a speed test which is great as it’s always harder to shave off already low milliseconds off of time. Granted the system is over kill but when you have an i5 and 16gb’s of ram what else do you do lol

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• silverstreak_2006
  • User
  • User
More
25 Jun 2018 16:44 #8 by silverstreak_2006
Replied by silverstreak_2006 on topic Re: Make 2860 a modem to use Pfsense
Glad to hear that is working, I assume you mean the UN and PW on the pFsense? I know nothing about it.

All the best.

• dazza1234
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
25 Jun 2018 17:29 #9 by dazza1234
Replied by dazza1234 on topic Re: Make 2860 a modem to use Pfsense
No you can use PfSense can do DNS ie forward DNS request and Resolve DNS requests, so you can cache DNS results that you either get from the Root hint server, .Com .Org .Net server and also the Authority Server so once it learns it know where to go. So it starts at Root hint then .com .org .net server and then to Authority server where it gets the answer once it knows the answer it can go straight to the website without doing the three steps it just says I know where it is let’s go. Hope that makes sense? My HomePod now responds to request almost instantly.

• vampsthevampyre
  • User
  • User
More
16 Mar 2020 12:57 #10 by vampsthevampyre
Replied by vampsthevampyre on topic Re: Make 2860 a modem to use Pfsense
@drazza, is it possible to post a few more details of your pfsense setup, I'm currently looking into doing the same think with my setup

TIA

Ian