DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

How to enable external IP to access an IP on my network?

• kamilcmm
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
15 May 2018 17:52 #1 by kamilcmm
On my network I can access our CCTV system by entering its IP address to the web browser, in our case the assigned IP is 192.168.1.200.

Our security company needs to get access to the system so that they can view the cameras remotely. How do I set up the router so that it allows the security company to access 192.168.1.200 from an external IP address?

Say for example the external IP is 1.1.1.1 and our router IP is 2.2.2.2, how do I make it so that 1.1.1.1 gets access to 2.2.2.2 and manages to access the CCTV that is on the network with IP 192.168.1.200.

Im using a Draytek Vigor 2830n

Many thanks for your help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
16 May 2018 01:12 #2 by hornbyp
Try this: https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-vigor-portforwarding

Before making these cameras accessible to the outside world, you'll want to ensure that they are secure...consider adding a firewall rules to limit who can access them. (If not, http://shodan.io will come calling and index them for the whole world to find!)

• kamilcmm
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
16 May 2018 13:06 #3 by kamilcmm

hornbyp wrote: Try this: https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-vigor-portforwarding

Before making these cameras accessible to the outside world, you'll want to ensure that they are secure...consider adding a firewall rules to limit who can access them. (If not, http://shodan.io will come calling and index them for the whole world to find!)

Thanks for the link, I forgot to add that I have already opened up some ports. The security company asked me to open up 80, 8000 and 554. I have done this by going to NAT > Open ports. I opened up the ports using the TCP/UDP protocols against IP 192.168.1.200 which is the CCTV IP address.

and the security company said that the way they usually access this ip is by simply typing in the ip address of the router followed by the port number i.e. 2.2.2.2:80.

I have managed to add a rule in the firewall so that now I can access our router from my home pc, so I added an external ip to the router and from home if i type in our IP i.e. 2.2.2.2 I can access the router. But how do I make it so that when I type in 2.2.2.2 it diverts to the CCTV ip address 192.168.1.200?

Many thanks.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
16 May 2018 13:40 #4 by hornbyp

kamilcmm wrote: ... so I added an external ip to the router... But how do I make it so that when I type in 2.2.2.2 it diverts to the CCTV ip address 192.168.1.200?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the first part "I added an external ip to the router", but it might not be relevant anyway.

It sounds like the Router Management Port is still set to its default value (80) and so is clashing with the camera. In the link above, see the section marked "Avoid Port Clashes with the Router's own Web Interface"

• kamilcmm
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
16 May 2018 14:39 #5 by kamilcmm

hornbyp wrote:

kamilcmm wrote: ... so I added an external ip to the router... But how do I make it so that when I type in 2.2.2.2 it diverts to the CCTV ip address 192.168.1.200?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the first part "I added an external ip to the router", but it might not be relevant anyway.

It sounds like the Router Management Port is still set to its default value (80) and so is clashing with the camera. In the link above, see the section marked "Avoid Port Clashes with the Router's own Web Interface"

What I meant by the first bit is that I added my home public IP to the firewall which allowed me to access our work router remotely.

When i go into System maintenance > Management the HTTP port is set to default 80 and if I change it to a custom one e.g. 8080 I'm no longer able to access the router remotely. Even when I go into the firewall rule and edit the service type to be port 8080 I still can't get access when I enter in the public IP followed by :8080 e.g. 2.2.2.2:8080.

In theory if I change the port to remotely access the router to 8080 and use port 80 to access LAN IP 192.168.1.200 it still doesn't work. Am I correct in thinking that if I entered 2.2.2.2:8080 it should take me to the router login page and if I enter 2.2.2.2:80 it should take me to the cameras which are on IP 192.168.1.200?

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
16 May 2018 15:44 #6 by hornbyp

kamilcmm wrote: In theory if I change the port to remotely access the router to 8080 and use port 80 to access LAN IP 192.168.1.200 it still doesn't work. Am I correct in thinking that if I entered 2.2.2.2:8080 it should take me to the router login page and if I enter 2.2.2.2:80 it should take me to the cameras which are on IP 192.168.1.200?

Yes.

You could try temporarily disabling the Firewall, to ascertain if that's the cause of the problem.