Setting up AP910C as Universal Repeater with 2860Vac

• augustgustaw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
31 May 2018 12:22 #1 by augustgustaw
All,

I had old LinkSys WAG320N in some sort of AP mode via power homeplug to provide additional coverage downstairs in our house.
The power line is noisy delivering no more than approx. 100Mbps so the whole setup is somewhat doggy with little impact on WLAN performance.
At the end I do not even bother switching LinkSys on at all.

I got attracted to the idea of using AP910C in Univeral repeater mode in order to avoid hardwiring it to the LAN (which is not practically possible across the floors in our house - that is why I tried homeplug route with LinkSys).

So now I have the AP910C and yesterday I tried to set it up.
For settiong it up I hardwired the unit directly to 2860Vac.

First surprise is that it seems it does not allow for the Universal repeater mode on BOTH bands 2.4 and 5 GHz.
When I try to set it up as Universal repeater on both bands I get a warning message that it is NOT possible.
I would like to verify whether anybody else has come across the same limitation and if there is any way around it.

Out of two bands I preferred to set it up for 5GHz so I disabled 2.4GHz.
Until I had the unit hardwired to the router during the setup the process kind-of worked.
I was able to make changes to the settings via web interface.
But I do not believe the setup is correct. It did not work at the end anyway.
Once I unplugged the unit from LAN I lost connectivity.

I explored other possibilities.
I have MAC to IP binding implemented (not strict).
I added AP910C to the table using the default MAC.
I am confused about MAC, actually.
Is the same MAC applicable to AP910C LAN and WLAN interfaces ?
It should be, I guess. Or are there two or more MACs depending on adapter of AP910C.
I also have MAC filtering setup on 2860 WLANs so I thought I may have to add AP910C MAC to the White List in 2860.
I did so but it not helped. And I was not certain which MAC should be added if there are more than one.
Logically i would need to add the 5GHz WLAN adapter MAC.

At the end I lost a bit ...

If I leave 5GHz in Universal repeater mode then what should I do with the 2.4GHz band ?
Can I disable it as I did ?

I assume that AP910C does NOT need to be hardwired to LAN to work in Universal repeater mode.
I hardwire it purely to set it up.
But then I should be able to access its web interface wirelessly ... but can I use IP address bound to the LAN MAC ?

As a hobbyist, I think, I overestimated my abilities for handling it.

Any advice will be appreciate before I re-attempt the setup.

Gustaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.