• dt2
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
04 Jun 2018 15:37 #1 by dt2
Bind IP to MAC, DHCP was created by dt2
Hi

I've set up a port 9 forward for WOL but before I set the Bind IP to MAC could anyone please confirm if this setting of a static IP to a MAC in anyway affects the DHCP router feature? We have it turned off as our server is the DHCP server and I don't want it to get turned on.

I appreciate that this may be viewed as a simple query with perhaps a straightforward answer but I've been caught out before applying a seemingly innocuous setting and then something else is affected.

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bookit
  • User
  • User
More
04 Jun 2018 21:17 #2 by bookit
Replied by bookit on topic Re: Bind IP to MAC, DHCP
If you've got DHCP turned off on Draytek then Bind to Mac will do nothing.

• dt2
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Jun 2018 10:28 #3 by dt2
Replied by dt2 on topic Re: Bind IP to MAC, DHCP
Thanks for the quick reply BookIT, now it's working but not before further research.

It seems that my router was never going to allow WOL from wan until I issued the telnet command wol fromWAN any.

Hope this is of some help to someone else.

DT2

• dt2
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
09 Jun 2018 12:47 #4 by dt2
Further to getting one PC to wake up, I want to set up so that I can wake any PC.

I've set up the Bind IP to MAC but in the Port Redirection, using Port 9 for both PCs and only the top most entry works ie it's sending anything received on Port 9 to the first bound IP.

Is there a way to have a list of these port redirections listening to the same port to a number of bound IPs?

Thanks.

• cocospm
  • User
  • User
More
10 Jun 2018 05:15 #5 by cocospm
Replied by cocospm on topic Re: Bind IP to MAC, DHCP

DT2 wrote: Further to getting one PC to wake up, I want to set up so that I can wake any PC.

I've set up the Bind IP to MAC but in the Port Redirection, using Port 9 for both PCs and only the top most entry works ie it's sending anything received on Port 9 to the first bound IP.

Is there a way to have a list of these port redirections listening to the same port to a number of bound IPs?

Thanks.

Yes, you can do this. First, you set up a dummy Bind-IP-To-MAC using the broadcast MAC address (FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF). For example, if your LAN subnet is 192.168.1.1/24, you could bind IP address 192.168.1.253, say, to the MAC address FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF. This will be in addition to the existing 'real' Bind-IP-To-MACs you have already set up for each device you want to wake.

Now, set up a single port forward of UDP port 9 to the dummy IP address 192.168.1.253 on local port 9 (replacing your existing port forwards for WOL).

Now, any WOL magic packet received from the WAN on port 9 will be broadcast to all subnet devices, so the targetted one will wake.

• dt2
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
11 Jun 2018 11:48 #6 by dt2
Thank you cocospm,

Just after I posted my question (of course), I thought it would work if I assigned different ports for each PC and that does work well. Your solution though is more elegant and so I tried it.

It didn't work in my case so I was wondering if there's another one of those special hidden gems whereby I need to telnet "allow broadcast MAC signals" or something like that?

Thanks again, DT2