DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860 - Blocking RPC ports

• wizard-ict
  • Topic Author
More
06 Jun 2018 17:01 #1 by wizard-ict
2860 - Blocking RPC ports was created by wizard-ict
I've been tearing my hair out over this for the last couple of weeks, so I'm throwing it open to the forum in the hope someone can help.

I've had a 2830 in place for several years. We have various NAT/Port forwarding rules, load balancing rules etc in place and all works as we need it to. We back up a remote Hyper-V host using Veeam which, unfortunately, we can't do over VPN. We have port forwarding rules set up to allow this, and the firewall at the other side is configured to allow all traffic coming from the Draytek so shouldn't be an issue (and isn't with the 2830).

I've recently been trying to replace this with a 2860. I've recreated the same rules, double and triple checked and they are identical as far as I can see. Everything else works but the backup gives the error "Task failed. The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA) ". Everywhere I look says this is a firewall blocking the ports, I've even had Veeam support take a look and they say the same. It's a firewall. As soon as I swap back to the 2830 everything works again.

I've tried completely turning off the Draytek Firewall, all Dos Defense etc but still I get the same error. I'm absolutely convinced the configuration is the same, so I can only think either something works differently in the 2860 and blocks the ports needed for RPC regardless of firewall settings or there is a new tickbox somewhere I've missed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2018 17:11 #2 by x64
Replied by x64 on topic Re: 2860 - Blocking RPC ports
I can’t say that I can identify your exact issue, and I’m thinking about my 2862 as I type. I’m not near the 2862 at the mo to check it.

Have a look at rule 1 in firewall filter set 2 - the default Data filter. I seem to recall that blocks something to do with netbios. Could that be part of the issue?

• wizard-ict
  • Topic Author
More
06 Jun 2018 22:51 #3 by wizard-ict
Replied by wizard-ict on topic Re: 2860 - Blocking RPC ports

x64 wrote: I can’t say that I can identify your exact issue, and I’m thinking about my 2862 as I type. I’m not near the 2862 at the mo to check it.

Have a look at rule 1 in firewall filter set 2 - the default Data filter. I seem to recall that blocks something to do with netbios. Could that be part of the issue?

Thanks for the reply. I've tried turning off the firewall completely. I've also tried leaving the firewall enabled (with the default set to "pass") and disabling that rule. Still no joy unfortunately.

• wizard-ict
  • Topic Author
More
07 Jun 2018 00:08 #4 by wizard-ict
Replied by wizard-ict on topic Re: 2860 - Blocking RPC ports
OK just a little more info that will hopefully help someone help me!

I've tested port 135 using PortQry and this returns the same results with both routers, so that doesn't appear to be the problem. Maybe it's down to the dynamic ports that are used. They're looked down to 5000-5500 on the remote server, which works fine with the 2830 so not sure why it wouldn't work with a 2860???