DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Traffic Graph for Tx Only

More
09 Jun 2018 08:42 #1 by c3330
Traffic Graph for Tx Only was created by c3330
Hello,
I am a new Draytek customer and have installed two Vigor2860n in two different locations (let's say A & B) and have setup two different VPN connections between them on WAN1 and WAN2 respectively.

I have a situation which needs my attention in location A regarding upload (Tx) during the day. Traffic graph is perfect for the job but unfortunately since it includes
both Rx and Tx on the same graph the scale of the Y-axis is not helpful. This is happening because download (Rx) is order of magnitude higher than upload (Tx).

My question here is if it's possible to have only Tx on the traffic graph or if I can rescale the graph manually? Another acceptable solution would be to download the data somehow and plot them myself but haven't figured out if that's possible or not.

I though about using "Network Monitor" to analyze and view traffic but since I already have some issues I don't want to risk the "substantial decline in performance" as stated in the manual which will be introduced if I start mirroring WAN ports. Unless it is not that much after all for Rx only of one WAN port and nothing more. Any ideas/comments about this?

A third possible solution I am thinking of is to use the SNMP and setup a third system that will get statistics from the router and plot them. Would that work?

Which one do you think is the best possible solution in order to have a clean picture of what is happening in terms of bandwidth usage on my Rx traffic?

Best regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2018 19:59 #2 by chrisw
Replied by chrisw on topic Re: Traffic Graph for Tx Only
Welcome on board!
You probably want an SNMP based monitor, there's quite a lot of quite decent offerings on the market - many have free trials and/or reduced functionality for the free versions. However having tried many I have reverted to my old favourite called "wallwatcher". This does exactly what I want in a very lightweight & low resource requirement package. I have my bandwidth in/out records with 5 minute resolution going back nearly 10 years in a single folder of ~95MB. The only catch is that the program is no longer supported or being developed (I think it was Visual Basic based) - but it still works fine (I run mine on an always on Win 10 Pro server) and its age has never caused any problems or interrupted anything else running. [There are still sites hosting downloads for this!]

More
10 Jun 2018 14:31 #3 by c3330
Replied by c3330 on topic Re: Traffic Graph for Tx Only
@ChrisW

thank a lot for the provided info.
From what I understand it's probably the best to go with an SNMP solution. I was thinking about going with something like Zabbix or any other open source solution,
but if you say that "wallwatcher" does what I want to do I will give it a try. It shouldn't be hard to setup either...correct? I mean it should be straightforward...just
enable SNMP on my Vigors and then wallwatcher should be able to bring everything in details....right?

More
10 Jun 2018 15:27 #4 by chrisw
For any SNMP solution you will want the OID's, so 2860n Received Bytes is 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10.4 and Sent Bytes is 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.16.4 Configuration otherwise is indeed pretty straightforward.

Wallwatcher is very easy to setup, but if you need a long term solution that continues to be supported and developed then maybe one of the more up to date (and more heavyweight) packages would be the way to go. Your choice! As I only want bandwidth and nothing else then most other packages are overkill - particularly as I run it on a server doing other mission critical stuff (my VoIP PBX and satellite TV) so it must not interfere by trying to install another web server - I simply RDP into the server PC to view the graph.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
10 Jun 2018 16:43 #5 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Traffic Graph for Tx Only
+1 for SNMP

I've been a long time user of Paessler's PRTG monitoring software . I run it on a Windows Server 2008 R2 Virtual Machine. A lot of customisation is available for the reported data - or if all else fails, it can be exported as a CSV file.

@ChrisW Where did you get the Draytek OIDs from? I've looked for them in the past, but never found them. (PRTG's auto-discovery works well, but I'd like to see if the Vigor reports anything extra (drilling down by Port or LAN, for example)).

More
10 Jun 2018 16:56 #6 by chrisw

Where did you get the Draytek OIDs from

Wallwatcher can scan and report on valid OID's for sent/received bytes - so that's where they came from. Only other visible OID is up time: 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0 but I don't make use of this.