• mandyshaw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
16 Jun 2018 21:59 #1 by mandyshaw
USB SMB problems was created by mandyshaw
Hi
I have a Vigor 2925n, firmware level 3.8.9.1.
I have inserted a memory stick (32GB) in one of my USB ports, configured a user to access it via SMB, and successfully connected to it from Windows 10.
The idea of this was to use the memory stick as a little household file server, nothing special, just a useful shared space.
Unfortunately I have had big problems.
Firstly any strange character in a filename (e.g. diacritic) seems to cause problems, e.g. those files can't be deleted except via the horrible UI in the router web admin function (and that has its own deletion problems, being extremely unfriendly to subfolders).
Secondly it is amazingly slow (it is taking anything up to 30 seconds to xcopy an 8K PDF onto it), and it seems to hang really frequently.
Thirdly it behaves in a case-sensitive manner, which is crazy in a Windows context.
Fourthly it doesn't seem to be able to cope with some file names, even where there are no strange characters (e.g. 'notamos.iperimet.myzen.co.uk', which is a text file - it just refuses to xcopy this).
Any ideas? What am I missing? At the moment this is feeling totally unusable.
Is anyone out there successfully using this functionality?
The admin function implies full support for Windows 10 built-in SMB client, which seems to me to be a wild overstatement. I have used Windows clients to access other non-Windows file servers and none of them have ever been this bad.
(It /does/ manage to store the syslogs ....)
Thanks
Mandy
P.S. It doesn't help that the share you use is \\vigor\<username> but you don't actually get told this - I found out by using net use with a random share name, which at least allowed me to log in, and then using net view.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mbames
  • User
  • User
More
17 Jun 2018 10:55 #2 by mbames
Replied by mbames on topic Re: USB SMB problems
You are probably better off with a cheap rpi to provide this functionality.

I used mine with a USB stick, but only write to it over FTP. Essentially I zip up all my files and then FTP the archive to the USB stick (with a datestamp in the filename, so have multiple revisions too). It means that should my machine ever be "attacked" by some ransomware, I have a copy of files which are unlikely to ever be encrypted.

• mandyshaw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
17 Jun 2018 22:26 #3 by mandyshaw
Replied by mandyshaw on topic Re: USB SMB problems
Thank you, that's very helpful.

• silverstreak_2006
  • User
  • User
More
25 Jun 2018 16:48 #4 by silverstreak_2006
Replied by silverstreak_2006 on topic Re: USB SMB problems
YES!

I have not read the thread (fully yet), but I done away with my USB logging, and it stops reboots after 20 days or so. I even had a beta firmware from support, that still caused a reboot if a client connects and copies files, very annoying! About the only think with Draytek that seems to lack attention for fix.