Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

MAC filtering on LAN - Vigor 3900

• purplewifi
  • Topic Author
More
27 Jun 2018 14:48 #1 by purplewifi
MAC filtering on LAN - Vigor 3900 was created by purplewifi
Hi All

I am trying to find out how to enable MAC filtering on my LAN. Basically, when a user connects to the network (either by a tagged WiFi or LAN port), it hits the draytek and they get an IP from the respective LAN / DHCP pool. This works fine, VLAN's and all.

What I want to happen is that when a user tries to connect the 3900 fires off a MAC authentication request to my RADIUS server, and if my RADIUS server sends an Access-Accept back, provide the user with DHCP and allow then on as normal. If an Access-Reject, they are not allowed on (either by not providing an IP or redirect to a captive portal/hotspot page).

Is it possible to limit LAN clients by MAC address like this?

Thanks

James

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2018 08:47 #2 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: MAC filtering on LAN - Vigor 3900
On the DrayOS models, using the internal DHCP server, there is a 'strict bind' facility which means an unrecognised MAC won't get an IP address (and maybe not given Internet access ?) so the V3900 may do similar...but surely if you're using Radius, it's up to the radius server to authenticate the MAC and if it doesn't, I'd assume the router would react - i.e. not give an address.

The proper redirect features, using for 3rd party Wifi portals and the like are on the DrayOS models like the V2862 I think. That uses Radius and redirects to a registration portal if the user is not authenticated but I don't think that's available on the V3900.

Forum Administrator

• purplewifi
  • Topic Author
More
02 Jul 2018 08:16 #3 by purplewifi
Replied by purplewifi on topic Re: MAC filtering on LAN - Vigor 3900
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, get what you're saying, but can't even find a setting to enable MAC auth on the LAN interface(s) on the V3900... so can't get it to talk to my RADIUS to begin with. Surprising that it lacks this feature!

More
02 Jul 2018 14:22 #4 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: MAC filtering on LAN - Vigor 3900
Yes... I think you'll need a Vigor 2862 or whatever (or 3220 if you need 4 WANs but check).

Forum Administrator