DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Can 2862Lac receive wifi signal as source for LAN?

• mickyluv
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Jul 2018 16:58 #1 by mickyluv
I'm a home user of the Vigor 2862Lac. Currently I use it with a SIM card as the only Internet access method.
Is it possible for this router to receive a WiFi signal from a mobile phone WiFi Hotspot setup and distribute this over a secondary LAN, giving alternative Internet access to several users?

Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ccarmock
  • User
  • User
More
05 Jul 2018 19:51 #2 by ccarmock
I believe it can - certainly the earlier 2860 could.

If you go into WAN->General Setup, click on WAN2, enable it and then select from the 'Physical Mode' drop down you can select 2.45 GHz or 5GHz WiFi as a WAN source.

Then back to WAN-> Internal Access and click Details Page to thr right of WAN 2 you can discover an AP and define parameters for the connection

• mickyluv
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
06 Jul 2018 09:22 #3 by mickyluv
Thanks very much. I'll set about that.

Mike

More
06 Jul 2018 09:27 #4 by piste basher
Unless your phone hotspot can be set to use a fixed wifi channel I think you will have problems. The router will not "follow" the connection if it changes channels.

I use a Netgear Aircard for this purpose, which can be set on a fixed channel. Even then, for reasons I have not yet ascertained, the wifi WAN drops connection every few hours. It quickly re-establishes but I don't know if it's the Aircard or the router that drops the connection.