DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Restricting access to/from one client - where to start?

• markvoip
  • Topic Author
More
06 Jul 2018 13:33 #1 by markvoip
Connected by ethernet to my 2860n I have a Panasonic PVR that wants to phone home with my usage data. I don’t want it to, although I do want it to be able to access e.g. EPG data and iPlayer for catchup.

First thought is to block all outgoing traffic from it, somehow determine what it’s wanting to connect to, and whitelist on a per case basis URLs I’m ok with.

Where to start? Syslog will show me traffic from it. Feels like I need to use the firewall, but its UI is pretty daunting.

Can you point me in the right directionto get started?

TIA

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• manicguitarist
  • User
  • User
More
08 Jul 2018 22:56 #2 by manicguitarist
Does the PVR need any internet access at all? If not, simplest solution would be to give the PVC a static IP address and then in the firewall UI - for both call and data...add a new item in the filters that details from LAN->WAN with the PVR's IP as source and *any* as the target and block immediately. Job done.

• markvoip
  • Topic Author
More
11 Jul 2018 09:31 #3 by markvoip
Thanks for your reply.
I can do all of that, but then need to allow it to access some URLs for catch-up TV and getting the TV Guide for the past (only current/future TV guida data is broadcast OTA as far as I understand it).

So I can create additional rules referring to white-list IPs, Pass Imediately and position them above the block all rule.
That gets me started, thanks.