• behaviour
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
10 Jul 2018 20:06 #1 by behaviour
2860 & AP910C Problems was created by behaviour
Hello all,

Around 6 months ago I upgraded (or so I believed) my home network with all Draytek gear. Unfortunately I have had nothing but trouble with it from the beginning. I'm feel really let down by Draytek as I really thought I was buying quality.

The first of the main two issues I have (having resolved countless others via firmware updates, etc) is that the WAN connection (BT Infinity VDSL) does not stay up for more than 12 hours straight. Whilst it's up the connection speed seems pretty stable, both up and down. It just doesn't seem to want to stay connected.

The second issue is with the wifi. I am running 2x AP910C which are managed from the 2860 via a profile that is applied to both. I have disabled the 5GHz band in an attempt to have at least a stable 2.4GHz connection. What seems to happen is that all traffic stops. The wifi stays connected with a good signal strength but I find my webpages suddenly hang and I cannot even access the router on its local address. Wired connections do not seem to be affected at all. A reboot fixes the issue immediately or if I wait a few minutes the traffic flow seems to return on its own.

I'm really hoping somebody can give me some tips that may help resolve these issues before I give up on Draytek (and a substantial outlay) altogether.

Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jul 2018 22:17 #2 by x64
Replied by x64 on topic Re: 2860 & AP910C Problems
From my ongoing experience with my 2862ac (ongoing support case)

Although it made no sense (the modem code is the same) firmware 3.8.9.1 seems have partially stabilised my VDSL (it now very rarely faults enough to drop, although the line stats are worse then my previous router (another manufacturer's which was rock stable).

You may also want to try the non "_BT" non-vector firmware.

Re 5GHz? Apple devices? Leave EAPOL retires enabled? Read the Apple recommendations https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202068
Again for me 3.8.9.1 improved Wifi a lot - although it's still imperfect.

Having said that I still have other issues concerning IP aliases, NAT loopback and WAN IP ranges...Oh joy!....

More
11 Jul 2018 09:21 #3 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: 2860 & AP910C Problems
Some of my problems with the wifi connection (2925ac and 2xAP902) seemed to be caused by a DNS issue. I was forcing the router to use Google DNS, removing that and just letting it pick up my ISP DNS seemed to cure the problem - which was as you say, connection seemed to be up but there was no network connectivity.
My ISP reset my DLM profile a couple of months ago and all seemed fine until late June when I started seeing lots of drops, and my speed was being reduced. My modem is always on and powered by a UPS, I have a feeling Openreach were doing something but how does one prove that? I've fitted an Openreach Mk4 socket "just in case" and the ISP have reset the profile again so I'm waiting to see what happens....speed is back up and no drops so far.

• behaviour
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
11 Jul 2018 17:39 #4 by behaviour
Replied by behaviour on topic Re: 2860 & AP910C Problems
@x64 - Thanks for the Apple wifi details and the tip about the non _BT firmware. I'll give both a try, it certainly can't hurt!

@Piste Basher - I'm using the ISP default DNS provider currently. When the 'pause' happens I lose all local traffic too including access to the router itself, so I'm thinking its not DNS related. Just can't tell if it's the router or the APs. Ive raised yet another fault with BT to see if there is anything on their end. I find OpenReach a complete nightmare and impossible to argue/reason with. I'm going to trial the EE 4G broadband soon, that way I'll at least have more than 1MB upload :D

More
11 Jul 2018 18:20 #5 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: 2860 & AP910C Problems
I was having the same problem - no access to the network at all even though the connection said it was fine. Still, every case seems to be slightly different....I use 802.1x and the radius server in the 2925, I still have 5GHz switched off. A couple of days ago I was streaming music from my NAS when it just stopped - investigation showed that my iPads and iPhone were now telling me that they couldn't connect to my wifi because the password was wrong :roll: Nothing had changed apart from some app updates on the Apple devices.....I've updated the 2925 and the AP902's to the latest firmware and now they are connecting again...for now. It's infuriating.

More
12 Feb 2019 15:31 #6 by smittix
Replied by smittix on topic Re: 2860 & AP910C Problems
Hi all,

sorry to open an old thread but I am having the same issues on my 2862ac. 5ghz will drop on certain devices and when trying to rejoin an apple device will just state that the password is wrong.

A quick reboot of the 2862ac solves this but it's annoying as hell! Did anyone get to the bottom of the problem? I'm on Vodafone broadband using Firmware 3.9.0_BT. I have also changed my DNS to cloudfront's offering.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

James.