Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Remote FTP upgrade?

• spellbinder
  • Topic Author
More
14 Jul 2018 09:43 #1 by spellbinder
Remote FTP upgrade? was created by spellbinder
Hi :)

I have seen a tutorial on Draytek website on how to activate remote FTP upgrade, but cannot find the option to tick? I have tried to upload the firmware through FTP but I get a permission denied error and not allow to upgrade via FTP.

Was it removed or is there a command to type that can activate this? It would really be handy as very often it is quicker and easier than doing a TFTP upgrade..

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2018 10:12 #2 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Remote FTP upgrade?
I can't remember if FTP was ever possible (TFTP locally, yes) but why not just use the HTTP(S) interface?

Forum Administrator

• spellbinder
  • Topic Author
More
14 Jul 2018 10:24 #3 by spellbinder
Replied by spellbinder on topic Re: Remote FTP upgrade?
It seemed to be possible, according to this: http://www.draytek.fr/index.php/component/content/article/25-aide-technique/107-how-to-upgrade-firmware-of-vigor-router-remotely

Upgrading through HTTP(S) web interface remotely is not really possible, we had cases where the web interface would crash during the upload, remotely or via VPN, so I usually avoid doing this remotely now because of this. Maybe this is now stable with the recent releases but a few years ago, it was a problem ometimes. Locally it's always worked I believe

• mbames
  • User
  • User
More
19 Jul 2018 10:43 #4 by mbames
Replied by mbames on topic Re: Remote FTP upgrade?

Spellbinder wrote:
Upgrading through HTTP(S) web interface remotely is not really possible, we had cases where the web interface would crash during the upload, remotely or via VPN, so I usually avoid doing this remotely now because of this. Maybe this is now stable with the recent releases but a few years ago, it was a problem ometimes. Locally it's always worked I believe

I upgraded an old 2820 on a slow adsl link via http over a VPN connection the other day without issue - maybe I got lucky :-)

• hopkins35
  • User
  • User
More
22 Jul 2018 10:02 #5 by hopkins35
Replied by hopkins35 on topic Re: Remote FTP upgrade?
Have to laugh that their screenshot doesn't even show the "Enable Remote Firmware Upgrade ( FTP )" option that they mention in their guide