Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Replacing a Mikrotik Router with a Draytek 2862 Router

• new2018
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
20 Jul 2018 13:59 #1 by new2018
I have been trying unsuccessfully to replace a cheap Mikrotik Router (c £50) supplied by by our service provider Gigabeam with the much better Draytek 2862 router. Gigabeam have told me to disconnect the Mikrotik Router from the service for an hour and then connect the Draytek (they have also told me that instead of turning off the Router for an hour if I call them they can "kick it off the connection" so the Draytek can log on. Unfortunately I am not at home during working hours).

The Mikrotik is a Routerboard RB951ui-2hnd and it connects to the antenna with an ethernet cable at the WAN port. The Mikrotik powers the antenna via the WAN port and the Draytek router WAN port of course does not power the port, so I have a POE unit for the ethernet cable when connecting the Draytek router to the antenna.

Gigabeam are unable to help with the set up, they prefer the Mikrotik, although they told me this router works on their network, they prefer the Mikrotik router. Any ideas please? I enter the PPPoE username and password and WAN VLAN Tag and it does not connect. We get a good signal with download speeds of up to 34 MB.

Whenever I connect the Draytek Router the WAN port on the dashboard is green and it shows "offline".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• new2018
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
29 Jul 2018 15:29 #2 by new2018
I'm still looking for help...

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
30 Jul 2018 15:26 #3 by hornbyp
You may need to supply more details of your current setup ...

I'm confused because the "RB951Ui-2HND" seems to be an Access Point, not a Router. It doesn't appear to have a WAN port, or Routing capabilities?!?

From https://i.mt.lv/routerboard/files/RB951Ui-2HnD-180525092343.png

See also: https://i.mt.lv/routerboard/files/RB951Ui-2HnD-171023123303.pdf

• new2018
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
31 Jul 2018 12:00 #4 by new2018
Solved. There are two options in VLAN insertion. Customer and Service. We enabled Service and disabled Customer and it connected. Thanks for your help.