Hardware Upgrade Choices

• garydrew
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
23 Jul 2018 10:48 #1 by garydrew
Hardware Upgrade Choices was created by garydrew
For home use I have owned several Vigor routers – 2600, 2710n, 2860n. The latter was especially good since it had 6 wired LAN ports.

Now it looks as if my router is about to expire and I wish to get a new model. I have seen the 2832 and 2862 models, or a second-hand 2860n-Plus.

When it comes to upgrading from, say a 2860, to a later version of a router for SOHO use, what would users recommend as a typical choice?
Currently I am on an ADSL2+ line but may (or may not) have VDSL installed at a later date. I don't need 3G/4G, etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2018 15:07 #2 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Hardware Upgrade Choices
The Vigor 2862ac is the current equivalent of your old model but if you don't need VDSL, the V2832 should be fine too.
The second hand 2860n-plus should be fine too!

Forum Administrator

• garydrew
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
23 Jul 2018 15:55 #3 by garydrew
Replied by garydrew on topic Re: Hardware Upgrade Choices
Thanks for the info,

It's a shame that DrayTek have gone back to only 4 wired LAN ports per LAN/WAN rather than 6.

• dazza1234
  • User
  • User
More
23 Jul 2018 18:54 #4 by dazza1234
Replied by dazza1234 on topic Re: Hardware Upgrade Choices
Make your own router, i got fedup with drayteks firmware that was flaky where it came to line stability. In the being it was rock solid with good speeds on the VDSL then every upgrade since speeds constantly dropping memory at 80% and CPU being pegged at 20% to 30% without me hitting it up. On the router I've built granted its over kill max CPU ive seen is 50% when it downloads all the malware, adblocking,Spyware and tracking domains as well as firewall list then goes to 2% to 4% as normal usage even when pegged and 10% to 12% Memory used. My draytek is nothing more than a really expensive modem now lol

More
24 Jul 2018 18:41 #5 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Hardware Upgrade Choices

GaryDrew wrote: Thanks for the info,

It's a shame that DrayTek have gone back to only 4 wired LAN ports per LAN/WAN rather than 6.

Well, it's sort of 5 as the WAN port can be swtched to LAN, but yes, they have been told :-)

Forum Administrator