DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 130 and Vigor 2860n DNS Server Settings

• bigshorty
  • Topic Author
More
24 Jul 2018 09:05 #1 by bigshorty
Hi All
I am currently running a Vigor 130 with a Vigor 2860n. The Vigor 130 is in bridge mode, and the Vigor 2860n handles my PPPoE internet connection, the 2860n also has a VLAN configured to allow me to access the GUI of the Vigor 130 through the 2860n.
I've just been looking at the DNS addresses on both devices and in the Vigor 130s 'MPoA / Static or Dynamic' settings it current shows as using Googles DNS server addresses, however in the 'Physical Connection' settings of the 2860n's GUI it currently has my ISP DNS server addresses entered.
Does this sound correct? Should both devices be using different DNS server addresses?
Any comments and thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2018 09:12 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Vigor 130 and Vigor 2860n DNS Server Settings
I have a similar setup with a 130 and 2925ac. The 130 has Google's DNS in it (I think it comes like that iirc). If you just let the router pick up DNS automatically it will get your ISP's DNS. You can force it to use Google's or another if you like - I have mine set everywhere to do that - i.e. in the "Force router to use...", in all of the LAN settings and in the settings on the AP's as well. Maybe overkill but it seems to avoid confusions..

• bigshorty
  • Topic Author
More
24 Jul 2018 10:56 #3 by bigshorty

Piste Basher wrote: I have a similar setup with a 130 and 2925ac. The 130 has Google's DNS in it (I think it comes like that iirc). If you just let the router pick up DNS automatically it will get your ISP's DNS. You can force it to use Google's or another if you like - I have mine set everywhere to do that - i.e. in the "Force router to use...", in all of the LAN settings and in the settings on the AP's as well. Maybe overkill but it seems to avoid confusions..

Cheers for the reply Basher
So am I right in assuming you have your 2925ac using the same DNS server addresses as your 130?

More
24 Jul 2018 20:27 #4 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Vigor 130 and Vigor 2860n DNS Server Settings
Yes, although it seemed to be OK with Googles in the 130 and my ISPs in the 2925. But I use a 4G connection as failover and that uses Googles so I thought I'd avoid potential confusion...