Vigor 130 Annex A Overheating

• casw1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
25 Jul 2018 19:32 #1 by casw1000
Vigor 130 Annex A Overheating was created by casw1000
Hi All. I have a Draytek VIgor 130 which seems to be struggling with over heating issues. The device is just sitting on a file cabinet in an open room. I only know something is wrong as my BT Infinity crawls to less than 1mb download and becomes un-useable. I have put up with this for a few months and basically every 4-5 days, I power off, let it cool down and then its ok for another few days.

I have purchased another Vigor 130 for a second BT Infinity service I have and reluctant to try this and not be in a position to return the item. I have dismantled the device and noticed that the small heatsink covering the processor/chip gets VERY hot, too hot to touch. I am looking at replacing this with a 40mmx10mm fan as there are 4 pins to provide power.

My main question here is this. Has anyone else who has the 130, noticed how hot the device gets directly underneath the product label. This is the exact location where the heatsink/processor is.

Appreciate your feedback. Thanks!
Colin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
26 Jul 2018 07:14 #2 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Vigor 130 Annex A Overheating
I run a Vigor 130 and have no heat issues, The casing around the product label is warm but certainly not too hot to touch, I reckon @ 50C.

My unit is on a shelf and angled upwards at 45 degrees (propped back end with the power supply box) so I can see the lights from my chair.

My previous 130 never ran hot,( that got replaced after a lightning strike ) it sounds like your 130 is faulty , they have a 2 year warranty , maybe you can send it back.

• casw1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
26 Jul 2018 11:35 #3 by casw1000
Replied by casw1000 on topic Re: Vigor 130 Annex A Overheating
Thanks for your feedback. I have a basic digital temp device with a probe. I will get some readings and contact support. Cheers, Colin.

• groodles
  • User
  • User
More
29 Jul 2018 12:49 #4 by groodles
Replied by groodles on topic Re: Vigor 130 Annex A Overheating
I run a Vigor 130 and have experienced the same issue. For the last 3 years, the unit has provided rock solid performance.

Then, 2 weeks ago, I started to see connection drop-outs and general line instability. I opened a ticket with my ISP and have had 2 engineer visits. They found nothing, and claimed the line was perfect (my line is <250m long).

Rebooting the 130 had no effect, but doing a 5-10 minute power cycle brought connection stability for an hour or so before it started to fail again. Eventually, even powering it down didn't work any more. (I think permanent damage may have occurred).

I've since replaced it with another 130 unit (the new one is HW Version 2 according to the product label) and instability has disappeared. I will be contacting Draytek support to see what has happened to the old one and getting a replacement/spare.