DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Configure Draytek devices to increase internet speed

• bigshorty
  • Topic Author
More
08 Aug 2018 08:16 #1 by bigshorty
Hi All
I'm currently using a Vigor 130 as a bridge modem, which in turn is connected to a Vigor 2860n which handles the PPPoE details of my FTTC broadband connection plus using it for all my wired devices internet connection. I've connected a TP-Link router to my 2860n and use that as a wireless access point for all wireless devices.
A friend of mine, who has quite a knowledge of networking, told me that using a Vigor 130 and Vigor 2860 together allows for configuration of these devices to optimise my broadband connection to obtain higher speeds, although he couldn't remember exactly how he mentioned the word 'offset'. I know that on an ADSL internet connection, adjusting the SNR on routers that allow it can give positive results with increasing speed, I was wondering if there are settings on the 130 and 2860 that can achieve similar results but on VDSL internet connections.
I'd be very grateful if someone out there can confirm this is possible, and if so, how I would go about configuring these devices to achieve the maximum of my fibre broadband connection.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dazza1234
  • User
  • User
More
08 Aug 2018 11:36 #2 by dazza1234
Vigor 130 to TPLink you don’t need the Draytek router to do it, you need to telnet into the router well modem and adjust the snr the same way as ADSL just replace ADSL with VDSL. There is a limit of what you can get before the connection goes unstable you want to be above 2db. 3dB is your sweet spot but it’s working it out over time.
Here you https://www.draytek.com/en/faq/faq-connectivity/connectivity.wan/how-to-adjust-adsl-snr-value-(for-vigor130/2760/2860-only)/

• bigshorty
  • Topic Author
More
08 Aug 2018 17:35 #3 by bigshorty

Dazza1234 wrote: Vigor 130 to TPLink you don’t need the Draytek router to do it, you need to telnet into the router well modem and adjust the snr the same way as ADSL just replace ADSL with VDSL. There is a limit of what you can get before the connection goes unstable you want to be above 2db. 3dB is your sweet spot but it’s working it out over time.
Here you https://www.draytek.com/en/faq/faq-connectivity/connectivity.wan/how-to-adjust-adsl-snr-value-(for-vigor130/2760/2860-only)/

Thanks for your reply Dazza, that's interesting info to know.
Unfortunately the link you added doesn't seem to point to any specific information regarding my query, any chance you could add a new link please?

• prushmere
  • User
  • User
More
08 Aug 2018 20:12 #4 by prushmere
The trailing bracket in the URL is truncated - probably by the forum software, try this .

• bigshorty
  • Topic Author
More
09 Aug 2018 08:40 #5 by bigshorty

prushmere wrote: The trailing bracket in the URL is truncated - probably by the forum software, try this .

That worked, many thanks to both of you for your help.

Just one query, is it better to have a higher SNR margin or a lower one? I have been made to believe higher is better, but according to another forum post I read, Vigor 130 users were actually lowering their SNR margins on VDSL lines, which in turn was increasing their attainable and actual downstream and upstream rates. My current SNR margin is 4dB, is this good?

Also, it would be interesting to know if anybody has tried this and whether it was actually successful in improving FTTC broadband speeds / connection. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

• dazza1234
  • User
  • User
More
09 Aug 2018 08:54 #6 by dazza1234
As said 3dB is your sweet spot, you’ll have to play around with it but you don’t want to cause a lot of disconnections as DLM will take your speed down. I have done it but it was a good while ago as once you get the sweet spot that’s it. But I’m pretty sure it was minus then the vdsl figure.