DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Diagnose firewall function not handling packets

More
10 Aug 2018 23:38 #1 by sweeny
Hi all,

Not sure if it’s something I’m doing wrong however when I attempt to use the firewall diagnose function on my Vigor 2862 I get the following message:

“The packet is not handled by firewall.(6)”

I’m hoping someone might be able to explain why this message occurs? I currently have rules setup in the firewall that are running well, blocking and allowing, resproduce the same config in the diagnose screen and the above message appears even though the firewall is actively blocking and working. I am currently on the latest firmware 3.8.9.2.

Many thanks in advance,

Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hopkins35
  • User
  • User
More
14 Aug 2018 08:01 #2 by hopkins35
I've always found it to be a bit fiddly but it usually ends up being me not using it correctly.

1. Make sure you change the mode to TCP or UDP
2. Choose the direction (choose "from WAN" for inbound connections)
3. DST IP should be your WAN IP address and not the local IP address in a NAT situation
4. DST Port is the local port you're testing
5. SRC IP is the remote IP (can usually be any valid IP unless your specifically allowing/denying a particular one - try 216.58.206.131)
6. Source Port as above for SRC IP - try 1234 unless your allowing/denying a particular remote port

More
19 Sep 2018 11:43 #3 by sweeny
Hi hopkins35, thank you for your response, after a lot of testing I have finally found my issue.

If you utilise the Bind to IP functionality and have Strict Bind enabled then, for the diagnose function to work properly, it is required that you specify the MAC address when testing your rule. I'm hoping this will help out anyone that has this specific configuration.

Cheers,

Tom

• hopkins35
  • User
  • User
More
19 Sep 2018 13:36 #4 by hopkins35

Sweeny wrote: it is required that you specify the MAC address

Ah, makes sense although, as usual with Draytek, badly documented. I've often wondered why the need for the MAC address for the firewall diagnostic.

Glad you fixed it