Draytek 2830 Bandwidth Management

• cheekycharly
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
17 Aug 2018 17:00 #1 by cheekycharly
Draytek 2830 Bandwidth Management was created by cheekycharly
Hello all this may have been asked before but I couldn't see it. I have a client with a Draytek 2830 connected to a 100MB lease line on its WAN port.

I have LAN 1 setup for the office network and LAN 2 For public wifi access on a different ip range

Does anybody know if I can set Port 1 my office lan to get say 30MB of that 100MB chunk and then the remaining 70MB goes onto the public network.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
18 Aug 2018 01:16 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Draytek 2830 Bandwidth Management
What you want (Port Throttling) is/was only available on some Vigor Routers. It's described here and here , for the older models...

If you look at "Bandwidth Management->Bandwidth Limit", it may do what you want on the 2830.

This method is IP Address, not LAN Port, based, so you would probably have to use the "LAN->Bind IP to MAC" function, to give your important users fixed IP addresses, that you can set as exceptions.

See: https://www.draytek.com/en/faq/faq-management/management.bandwidth-management/how-to-use-bandwidth-limit/

NOTE: The 2830 is not capable of 100Mbs ... it maxs-out somewhere around 80MBps (probably a lot less, with complicated Firewall Rules etc).

• cheekycharly
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
20 Aug 2018 11:36 #3 by cheekycharly
Replied by cheekycharly on topic Re: Draytek 2830 Bandwidth Management
Thanks for your reply. The post on Bandwidth Management is great I think this is the method that will work for me.

So I have LAN 1 10.0.0.1 (Guest Wifi) and LAN 2 192.168.0.1 (Office Use)

My only question was if I set Index 1 in Bandwidth Management as "shared" and 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.254 With TX 3,750 (30MB) and RX 2500 (20MB) does it then know that the remainder of the bandwidth is available for any other LAN traffic i.e. 10.0.0.1 Range connection or do I have to set an Index up for that IP range in order for it to work?

Thanks

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
20 Aug 2018 14:05 #4 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Draytek 2830 Bandwidth Management

cheekycharly wrote: My only question was ...

I've never used it in anger (I've always used Q.O.S. instead), so you'll need to experiment - unless you get another response.