USB Attached NAS

• dutch
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
21 Aug 2018 09:59 #1 by dutch
USB Attached NAS was created by dutch
Hi, I have purchased a Vigor router 2762ac, nice bit of kit runs well. But I am having a bit of a problem with the USB. I run a Linux (Mint) system, two computers, a smart TV and several mobiles (tablets, and phones). With my old BT5 router I had attached a 1TB USB drive as NAS backup. The backup was performed for the two computers via a software program (fsbackups). Simply attaching the usb drive to the Vigor did absolutely nothing. Previously the drive had to be ‘mounted’ with a Terminal command ‘sudo mount -a’ but this does not mount the drive with the Vigor. Obviously the systems are different. What I would need is exact data as to how to use an attached USB drive. Is it only via FTP and therefore mounting in the Linux way does not work, or is mounting to be done but in a different way? I am hoping someone will have had the same experience and can guide me in the right way. Sorry to ask this as the User Guide bit on USB is pretty vague.
NB I know I can transfer files manually after having set up this on the VIGOR but that is not quite how I want to back-up. Also this will not take larger drives, only up to 500Gb.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• prushmere
  • User
  • User
More
21 Aug 2018 12:24 #2 by prushmere
Replied by prushmere on topic Re: USB Attached NAS
You'll need to set up the Draytek to use SMB file sharing for the USB device and then use 'mount -t smbfs' instead - 'man mount' is your friend. :wink:

• dutch
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
21 Aug 2018 15:39 #3 by dutch
Replied by dutch on topic Re: USB Attached NAS
Right will do that. Will let you know how the explosion went. Cheers

• dutch
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
22 Aug 2018 13:55 #4 by dutch
Replied by dutch on topic Re: USB Attached NAS
Well, man might be a friend but as I have found previously it is pretty full of everything! Anyway, smb in Linux seems out of time it is now cifs. Changing that over did not work. The delay in showing this on the screen shows though that it is looking. I found on the web a more detailed instruction as to how to set up the USB. Having done that I can reach the USB, that is not in question. I want to reach it via the mount command. I have altered the fstab file as per some advice from various forums but even that did not work. So, I am wondering whether the software in the router has been set up in such a way that only FTP is allowed? Everything else is out? Fortunately I can still back up via fsbackups having altered the way it looks for the destination. But it means I have to take off the drive and attach it to every machine separately in turn. Thanks though for your suggestion, I will continue to look for an answer. I will find it in time.

• anaglypta
  • User
  • User
More
22 Aug 2018 14:18 #5 by anaglypta
Replied by anaglypta on topic Re: USB Attached NAS
I think the USB supports SMB only, and there are restrictions on the USB device that can be connected:-

https://www.draytek.com/en/faq/faq-miscellaneous/miscellaneous.usb-application/are-there-any-limits-to-the-usb-disk/

John.

• prushmere
  • User
  • User
More
22 Aug 2018 16:28 #6 by prushmere
Replied by prushmere on topic Re: USB Attached NAS

dutch wrote: Thanks though for your suggestion, I will continue to look for an answer. I will find it in time.

If it's any consolation, I've spent the best part of this afternoon messing about with this myself and I can't get it to work under Mint either.

Sorry I led you up the garden path... :oops: