DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

How to configure a Vigor 2860n as an access point

• bigshorty
  • Topic Author
More
29 Aug 2018 12:55 #1 by bigshorty
Hi All
As the title suggests, how do I go about properly configuring my Vigor 2860n as an access point? Also, as an access point, are there any useful features or options in having it as an access point?
I'm currently running a Vigor 130 for my modem, which in turn connects to an Asus RT-AC86U as my PPPoE router which mainly deals with my wireless devices. The Asus then feeds internet to my 2860n which in turn supplies internet to my wired devices. The reason I want to use the 2860n is because it has 6 LAN ports, which is just enough to cover all my wired devices, plus it will save me having to buy an 8 port switch.
Any thoughts and ideas on this, or pointing me in the right direction to a guide would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2018 18:12 #2 by admin
You mean use it ONLY as an access point, as obviously it's already an acess point and router. Disable DHCP on the Vigor so that it doesn't clash with your other router and then connect a LAN port to your LAN - that's all you need to do. Set strong passwords as usual.

Forum Administrator

• bigshorty
  • Topic Author
More
30 Aug 2018 21:35 #3 by bigshorty

admin wrote: You mean use it ONLY as an access point, as obviously it's already an acess point and router. Disable DHCP on the Vigor so that it doesn't clash with your other router and then connect a LAN port to your LAN - that's all you need to do. Set strong passwords as usual.

Many thanks for the reply.
I have used your suggestions and it works as I wanted it to, luckily I’m not using the WiFi so no need to set a password, guess you have to look at it as an expensive switch.
Thanks again for the advice

More
31 Aug 2018 07:08 #4 by admin
Definitely still set a strong wireless password or disable wireless in order to secure it.

Forum Administrator