VLAN Tagging & Multiple AP's

• sidewinder
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
03 Sep 2018 21:12 #19 by sidewinder
Replied by sidewinder on topic Re: VLAN Tagging & Multiple AP's
Oh, not running our own DNS, using Google on all systems & networks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hopkins35
  • User
  • User
More
04 Sep 2018 06:49 #20 by hopkins35
Replied by hopkins35 on topic Re: VLAN Tagging & Multiple AP's
If you can't ping the gateway 192.168.2. 1 from the port 6 device then try adding port 6 to VLAN0, I don't know enough about the Draytek inner workings but this is the management VLAN and might be required to pass packets to the gateway and onto the internet. You will still have the VLAN isolation that you require unless you've setup inter-lan routing on the lan settings page, to make double sure you could add lan-lan firewall rules to block in both directions to and from your two subnets

More
04 Sep 2018 14:15 #21 by haywardi
Replied by haywardi on topic Re: VLAN Tagging & Multiple AP's
Hi Sidewinder,

Can you confirm which part of your network is working when vlans are enabled?

I think you are saying your network is OK without vlans, but when you enable your hardwired network no longer has access, is this correct?

Iain

• sidewinder
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
04 Sep 2018 17:48 #22 by sidewinder
Hi haywardi,
When I enable tagging it kills the connection to the internet on port 6 on the 2860 which is the guest wired connection, there is only one wired connection on the guest network, and it kills the guest wifi, the rest of the internal network seems to keep working.
I need to arrange some downtime to do some more proper tests, I am hoping tomorrow.
Today got a bit busy and I ended up doing a short notice customer visit.
(No I don't do networking and fixing computers for clients! I do fixing machines and electrical stuff, this is related to our internal business network) ;)

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
04 Sep 2018 21:09 #23 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: VLAN Tagging & Multiple AP's

Sidewinder wrote: When I enable tagging it kills the connection to the internet on port 6 on the 2860 which is the guest wired connection, there is only one wired connection on the guest network, and it kills the guest wifi, the rest of the internal network seems to keep working.

OK - my twopenneth ... having successfully set up a whole one tagged VLAN :D

If I've followed this correctly ... your problem could be that the 'guest PC' does not have the correct VLAN tag enabled on its Network Adapter. If Port 6 is using VLAN tag 10, the connected PC has to use it too.

The 2860 doesn't have the ability to 'add tags on ingress', or 'remove them on egress' - if enabled, they have to match. Adding a cheap 5 port Netgear GS105e switch - which does have such a capability - is the way I addressed the problem. (Devices such as Smart TVs, Tivo's, Youview boxes etc - which I wanted to connect - don't even pretend to support tagged VLANs :cry: )

In the case of a Windows PC, what I found, is that most/some/all? Network Adapters let you 'enable' VLAN tagging, but don't let you specify what that tag is! (In the case of the 'Realtek PCIe adapter', you have to install the "Realtek Ethernet Diagnostic Utility" to be able to use this functionality. It didn't work at all well, when I tried it, but I targetted my VLAN at a virtual machine and Hyper-V let me configure it in there. )

• sidewinder
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
04 Sep 2018 21:21 #24 by sidewinder
hornbyp,
Now that would make sense, it's a Windows 7 Pro OS on the PC!

Thank you.

Going to have to make a couple of hours tomorrow and try and dig into this.

I'll report back and update the thread with my test results, and what I do to get it sorted because it will possibly help others.

Thanks all who have helped so far, I really appreciate it, please don't give up on me yet, I'll get there!!! :D