Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

WiFi as WAN antenna configuration on 2925

• nickobat
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
01 Sep 2018 01:14 #1 by nickobat
I'm using my 2925ac to extend the WiFi at our marina to the inside of our boat using the WiFi as WAN feature. The boat has a steel shell so without something like this, the WiFi signal inside the boat is pretty poor.

So just to be clear, the router picks up the Internet WiFi from outside on WAN2, and retransmits it inside the boat. Although the external and internal SSIDs are different, they have to operate on the same channel, and I believe this has to be 2.4GHz. So I believe all three aerials both receive and transmit both the WAN and internal WiFi at the same time. Also have a 4G modem on WAN1 as fallback (when we are not in the marina); no problems there.

It's all working, but not sure if I am making optimal use of the three WiFi antenna connections on the router. I have an external twin aerial, so I've tried with one or both connected to one or two sockets on the vigor, and the remaining sockets having the standard aerial(s) for the WiFi signal within the boat. All permutations work, but at varying speeds, none of which are I think getting the most of the available bandwidth. Aerial socket 2 (in the middle) is documented as 5GHz only, so not sure if that is currently doing anything at all?

Does anyone have any advice regarding which aerial socket(s) to use for the external aerial(s) and which for the internal? I also have to say that I'm not too clear on how to best wield the "wl ht antenna" command ... does it even support three aerials or just two??

Thanks, Nick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.