Is My Vigor 130 Faulty?

• apolloa
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
02 Sep 2018 20:45 #1 by apolloa
Is My Vigor 130 Faulty? was created by apolloa
Hi, after some help, I have been using a Vigor 130 with my Google WiFi on my BT Infinity VDSL 2, 55 down,10 up connection for a while. I then had some intermittency which resolved itself after I changed the ethernet cable from the modem to my Google WiFi.
Then we went away for a long weekend, came back and the physical connection was up and down like a yoyo, I connected my BT Superhub and it was perfectly fine and stable, this was using the same DSL lead as well.
I then bought an Open Reach HG612 modem, this has been flashed, and it's been running kind of fine, the upstream speed dropped to 2mbs last week but has now gone back to normal.

Anyway so I thought I'd give the Vigor 130 another go as the HG612 gets pretty warm, so I connected the Vigor 130 last night night at default settings with the latest firmware, it connected and worked fine-ish, spedtest.net wouldn't run and I thought this was because I had the DHCP server turned on in the Vigor 130 and the Google WiFi.

Got up today and the internet wouldn't work at all? I turned DHCP off on the Vigor and then it was the same YoYo physical connection. I've tried all sorts today even downgrading the firmware to 3.8.1, but it is the same, I turned off PPPOE/PPPOA and switched to MPOA, the same, entered the BT DNS servers and the same?
I tried with it connected and disconnected to the Google WiFi.

Why would it work for a few hours, then after changing one setting go all nuts? I did also try the default settings and it was the same intermittent connection.

Last I checked I am on a broadcom cab? Are their any other frimware's I can try? I don't understand how it can connect for a while then be really intermittent. I saw about the vectoring firmware, is it worth trying this?

EDIT: I just used telnet and can confirm I'm on a Broadcom cab: BDCM:0xa48c and it seems I don't have G.INP enabled either. I've no idea how to use telnet with teh HG612 to see if I have vectoring or not?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
03 Sep 2018 18:02 #2 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Is My Vigor 130 Faulty?
Try a factory reset , and this firmware >> Vigor 130 3.8.3 Alternative Modem Code 579F17 Firmware Download <<

• apolloa
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
03 Sep 2018 21:03 #3 by apolloa
Replied by apolloa on topic Re: Is My Vigor 130 Faulty?

AdrianH54 wrote: Try a factory reset , and this firmware >> Vigor 130 3.8.3 Alternative Modem Code 579F17 Firmware Download <<

Thanks, I tried that and it just failed to connect at all, just constant training, I tested it on the factory defaults and changing some settings but still the same. Connected mu Open Reach HG612 back on and it instantly connected fine.

I can only conclude the Vigor is faulty? I'll contact Amazon tomorrow and see what I can do, I only bought it in January but I don't have the box anymore :(

Unless anyone has any other ideas?

The modem also loses connection with my laptop, but it does so in a pattern, it try's to sync but can't, after about 30 seconds of trying the modem drops the ethernet connection, all the lights come on then go off and it reconnects the ethernet and try's to train again.
It did the same thing when it was actually syncing but it would drop the ethernet connection right after syncing then reconnect on the ethernet and then train in and sync up, then repeat over and over.

• red_snow
  • User
  • User
More
05 Sep 2018 13:15 #4 by red_snow
Replied by red_snow on topic Re: Is My Vigor 130 Faulty?

AdrianH54 wrote: Try a factory reset , and this firmware >> Vigor 130 3.8.3 Alternative Modem Code 579F17 Firmware Download <<

Sorry for a slight diversion, what is the difference between this and the "recommended" BT firmware download? - Thank you

More
05 Sep 2018 17:45 #5 by apotts
Replied by apotts on topic Re: Is My Vigor 130 Faulty?
I am also on BDCM:0xa48c (164.140) / v0xa48c

I have also tried to use the alternative modem firmware, and likewise it just gets stuck training. Useless.

With an unlocked HG612 you should be able to telnet straight in. Or use dslstats to get a better picture. It does sound like there is something wrong with the 130.

My 130 was stable, but terminally slow. It would sync at either 47 or 49, whereas my HG612 synced at 52, and my VMG8324 syncs at 62. Hence the 130 is gathering dust on the shelf.

• apolloa
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
06 Sep 2018 00:51 #6 by apolloa
Replied by apolloa on topic Re: Is My Vigor 130 Faulty?

apotts wrote: I am also on BDCM:0xa48c (164.140) / v0xa48c

I have also tried to use the alternative modem firmware, and likewise it just gets stuck training. Useless.

With an unlocked HG612 you should be able to telnet straight in. Or use dslstats to get a better picture. It does sound like there is something wrong with the 130.

My 130 was stable, but terminally slow. It would sync at either 47 or 49, whereas my HG612 synced at 52, and my VMG8324 syncs at 62. Hence the 130 is gathering dust on the shelf.

My Vigor has gone back to Amazon and I was refunded. I have bought another which is yet to arrive, my HG612 is unlocked but I’ll give the Vigor another go, also like the idea of a new Modem being plugged in 24/7. Still glad I have a 612 as backup.