Static route?

• federal12
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
07 Sep 2018 14:07 #1 by federal12
Static route? was created by federal12
Hi, I’m not a network expert but could do with some help from someone who knows what they’re talking about!
I have a site with 2 2860 boxes, one which I have control over and one that I don’t. Obviously I’ll need the assistance of the other company involved but wanted an understanding of how to achieve my goal. My nextwork is purely supporting an IP PBX, the other network is purely supporting the PC network, both have their own separate broadband connections.
The issue I have is that they want to use CTI functions on their PC’s which will involve communicating with a single static IP on my network. I’m unsure what their network is using at present but let’s assume it’s 192.168.1.1/24 . The PBX on my network is on 192.168.11.101. How do I get their PC’s to communicate with the PBX? Obviously there needs to be a physical connection between the routers - what do I connect to what and how do I configure the static route? I had a quick look at static routes but couldn’t quite follow it. It mentions a second gateway but setting that up is the bit I’m not sure on. I’m guessing it’s quite easy, I’m just not seeing it and as the site is now live I can’t just play with it as I would normally, so please forgive me asking before having put in the effort to resolve for myself that I normally would.

TIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
07 Sep 2018 23:21 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Static route?
I would have thought you would do something like:-

• Create a single port VLAN of 192.168.11.0/24 on 'their' 2860, on (say) Port 6

• Create a single port VLAN of 192.168.1.0/24 on yours, on (say) Port 6

• Assign a single address for the 2860 on each of these network (and disable DHCP). For example, on "their's", use (say) 192.168.11.254 and yours 192.168.1.254. On the Vigor, I think that is all that is required, with regard to Routing - it works out for itself, how to get to the other network (ie 192.168.11.101 is via 192.168.11.254, which means via Port 6).

• Enable Inter-LAN routing on both 2860's.

• PC clients on 'their' 192.168.1.0/24 network need to know the route to the 192.168.11.0/24...assuming they are using the 2860 as the Default Gateway, no further configuration is necessary.

• The PBX might be more problematic - it needs to know that the 192.168.1.0/24 is accessible via 192.168.11.254 (in this example) - and might need to be told this explicitly. (This could be a stumbling block, or might just work. For example, I cannot for the life of me, get a Tivo to work in this sort of configuration, but a Youview box needed nothing doing. I would hope a PBX would be more configurable than a Tivo!)

• Connect the two port (6)s together :wink:

• Use Traceroute/Tracert on a PC to diagnose any problems - and the 2860's own in-built Diagnostic Ping/Traceroute.

An alternative approach, assuming both 2860's are connected to the Internet, would be to set up a (Teleworker) VPN Profile on your 2860 and have 'them' VPN into it when they want to access the PBX. (Each of their PCs would receive a 192.168.11.x address from your DHCP). I don't know if this is a practical solution. A variation on a theme, would be an "always-on VPN" (over the Internet) between the two 2860s.

You may want to add some Firewall Rules, once you get it working.

• federal12
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
13 Sep 2018 22:05 #3 by federal12
Replied by federal12 on topic Re: Static route?
Many thanks, I’ll post back here with results when I can. The other company are a pain and want paying for breathing in and out. Need to assess who’s covering their charges before going any further so could be a while!
I may just buy a couple of spares in to play with at home, it’s not like I won’t find a home for them once I’m done.
Thanks again.

More
23 Sep 2018 15:58 #4 by spellbinder
Replied by spellbinder on topic Re: Static route?
You say they have their own broadband connections, so do you mean the 2 Drayteks are managing 2 distant sites?

If so, you can just use a LAN to LAN VPN between both Drayteks, so their network can reach your PBX through the VPN tunnel

• federal12
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
23 Sep 2018 19:48 #5 by federal12
Replied by federal12 on topic Re: Static route?
They are both on the same site. We tend to separate voice and data lans as much as possible if we aren’t managing both, which we aren’t in this instance. Usually no issue, it’s just this site wants CTI for dialling. As their IT people and I don’t exactly get along (they keep trying to take my voice business) I’m trying to keep it as simple as possible to minimise their input. Luckily it’s not a pressing issue and I haven’t given it much thought recently, but I do need to sort it, even if just for my own satisfaction and if it comes up again in the future. May have time later this week to look at it so I’ll order a couple of routers now before I forget again! Thanks for your interest, I’ll post back when I have the routers on the bench.

More
25 Sep 2018 17:07 #6 by spellbinder
Replied by spellbinder on topic Re: Static route?
Okay so if each Draytek is managing its own network (yours is voice, theirs is data), you just need a static route between the Drayteks, supposing they are reachable through the LAN port