Vigor2710n as Switch

• garydrew
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
08 Sep 2018 11:21 #1 by garydrew
Vigor2710n as Switch was created by garydrew
My main router is a Vigor2860n but I also have an old Vigor2710n that I would like to use as a network switch to isolate traffic between a very old desktop machine and an IP camera.

My proposed arrangement would be along these lines (see attached image).

Being the primary router the 2860n handles DHCP, wireless, syslogging, DOS attack monitoring, etc.

On the 2710n, apart from turning off DHCP and the others listed above, is there anything else that I should disable or deactivate?

PS. while I'm here, how much constant wired traffic can a 2710n handle without overheating or burning out, i.e. 24/7 rst flow between camera3 and PC1?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2018 21:03 #2 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Vigor2710n as Switch
Looks fine, but when you say 'isolate' - isolate what from what? If you mean the connected devices from the other PCs, then yes, just enable a port VLAN on the V2860.

Forum Administrator

• garydrew
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
10 Sep 2018 08:36 #3 by garydrew
Replied by garydrew on topic Re: Vigor2710n as Switch

admin wrote: Looks fine, but when you say 'isolate' - isolate what from what? If you mean the connected devices from the other PCs, then yes, just enable a port VLAN on the V2860.

I want to keep the heavy traffic between camera3 and pc1 off the Vigor2860n.
My equipment is all fairly old and slow, so I would prefer to not have everything running through the 2860 all at the same time. I appreciate that it might not make any significant difference but the 2710 is sitting spare so I might as well use it.

Using my plan I shall still be able to connect to camera 3 occasionally from the Internet when out in public should I need to. All my devices are set to static addresses.

More
10 Sep 2018 08:54 #4 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Vigor2710n as Switch
In your diagfram, the traffic is strill going through V2860... Really ,all your plabn is doing is
adding more ethernet ports...

Forum Administrator

• garydrew
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
13 Sep 2018 15:15 #5 by garydrew
Replied by garydrew on topic Re: Vigor2710n as Switch

admin wrote: In your diagfram, the traffic is strill going through V2860... Really ,all your plabn is doing is
adding more ethernet ports...

Now that I have implemented the plan, that doesn't seem to be the case if the flashing indicator LEDs on each unit are reliable.
The traffic between pc1 and camera3 appear to be passing through only the 2710.