• d3009
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
16 Sep 2018 22:55 #1 by d3009
Vigor 2860Ln Mail Alert Setup was created by d3009
Dear all,

Just need some pointers in setting up Mail Alerts, have inserted the IP address of my providers SMTP server into the SMTP Server field, the only port supported by any of my e-mail providers is 587, Return-Path I've left blank, same with SSL (due to note 3 on the Mail Alert Setup screen which suggests only port 465 is supported for secured SMTP connections) authentication is enabled in the hope TLS encryption is used in preference to SSL encryption due to the port etc.

Hit the 'send a test e-mail' and nothing gives, to ensure the configuration settings were correct, I re-configured the mailbox using the details from the Mail Alert Setup and the mailbox connected without issue. So believe the issue is with the ports used in conjunction with encryption method - Tried all the permutations of using Return-Paths, Use SSL checked etc still no joy. 2 questions come out of this:

1.. Is there any troubleshooting I can do on the router, have checked the logs for 'all' entries but saw nothing relating to issues with mail.
2.. Is there any way I can ensure I have encrypted e-mails sent from my router via port 587 Vs. port 456?

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mbames
  • User
  • User
More
17 Sep 2018 18:38 #2 by mbames
Replied by mbames on topic Re: Vigor 2860Ln Mail Alert Setup
I've got a similar setup working on my 2925 - not to dig in any error logs, but my configuration may help.

I have the port set at 465, and use SSL ticked, along with authentication ticked & the appropriate username & password supplied.

When I hit the test button, the email arrives with the following (sanitised) section of header, suggesting TLS is working.

Code:
Received: from [my.public.ip] (port=40287 helo=mydomain.com) by my.mailhost.co.uk with esmtpsa (TLSv1.2:AES128-SHA:128) (Exim 4.91) (envelope-from ) id 1g1xOp-00Awg8-DR for vigor-alerts@mydomain.com; Mon, 17 Sep 2018 18:33:27 +0100

• d3009
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
17 Sep 2018 20:31 #3 by d3009
Replied by d3009 on topic Re: Vigor 2860Ln Mail Alert Setup
Hi Mbames,

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried your config and hit the test mail, alas I didn't receive anything. I then remembered I wanted to get the firmware up to rev on the 2860, so I applied the update and the next thing I saw was a couple of e-mails, just checked by running the test again and it was working just fine. So pleased to say it's working on port 465 as per your configuration.

Many thanks :)

Just for the record, firmware raised from 3.8.4.4_BT to 3.8.9.3_BT

• d3009
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
17 Sep 2018 22:23 #4 by d3009
Replied by d3009 on topic Re: Vigor 2860Ln Mail Alert Setup
Just FYI Mbames,

Checked the full mail header and it looks as though the e-mail was not encrypted either with SSL or TLS unfortunately, it was my understanding that most had migrated away from SSL due to its vulnerability as an encryption algorithm to SSL's reincarnation TLS, although I still need to get my head around the history of the use of ports 465 and 587, I'm somewhat bemused when I re-read the security advisory sent out by Draytek re: Poodle Exploit which suggested that since firmware rev: 3.7.8, the Vigor 2860 was 'TLS Only (does not support SSL)' which alas contradicts the mail alert setup screen. https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/security-advisories/poodle-exploit

I'll try a different mail hosting service to ensure I can use port 465, I think this maybe the path of least resistance :-)

Cheers.