AP902

• techdean
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
18 Sep 2018 21:04 #1 by techdean
AP902 was created by techdean
Hi all looked at setupguides etc not found answer.

What I want to do is have 2 AP902's both connected via Ethernet to share ssid and basically devices to roam between them seamlessly, choosing the strongest ap signal.

I know i could use wi-fi extension but that restricts speed as both would be on the limit of range, i want the ethernet to be the backbone and the AP's/devices not connect device-ap1-ap2-ethernet but connect ap1 or ap2 to ethernet backbone.

as i said read up and cannot find this as an option.

ta muchly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hopkins35
  • User
  • User
More
19 Sep 2018 08:08 #2 by hopkins35
Replied by hopkins35 on topic Re: AP902
My experience is with two AP910Cs which don't feature the integrated switch and therefore are connected between external switches, as for settings on the APs, you should be able to just set them up in AP mode and setup the SSID(s) identically on both. You'll probably have to tweak the assisted roaming settings until you've got it working to your preference.

More
19 Sep 2018 09:04 #3 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: AP902
I have no idea what an AP920 is but all AP902's have an integrated switch. However I don't understand why you think devices might connect device-AP1-AP2-ethernet if you have both AP's connected individually via ethernet and are not using them in bridge mode. Devices will connect to one or the other AP and hence to ethernet. What is there in the setup guides that you would expect to see? Which particular AP they will connect to depends on a number of things, as hopkins35 says you may find the "Assisted roaming" helps; I use 802.1x which does appear to help a bit with the "seamless roaming" you desire.

• hopkins35
  • User
  • User
More
19 Sep 2018 10:13 #4 by hopkins35
Replied by hopkins35 on topic Re: AP902

Piste Basher wrote: I have no idea what an AP920

I meant the AP910C, mixing it up with the outdoor 920R which I'd like to get my hands on but for somereason they're 4 times the price in the UK than in the US

• zdz
  • User
  • User
More
07 Apr 2019 09:41 #5 by zdz
Replied by zdz on topic Re: AP902
This.
I have this exact same question. I've got a AP902 eth connected to a 2860n-plus. I've setup the SSIDs the same on all, but devices are not happy at all, 5G just dies, and it seems to be causing havoc on 2G also. I'm surprised this is so difficult to setup and there is not an option for pushing this (cloned) config from the 2860 to connected APs.

Did you ever get it working, mind sharing what you did?

techdean wrote: Hi all looked at setupguides etc not found answer.

What I want to do is have 2 AP902's both connected via Ethernet to share ssid and basically devices to roam between them seamlessly, choosing the strongest ap signal.

I know i could use wi-fi extension but that restricts speed as both would be on the limit of range, i want the ethernet to be the backbone and the AP's/devices not connect device-ap1-ap2-ethernet but connect ap1 or ap2 to ethernet backbone.

as i said read up and cannot find this as an option.

ta muchly.

More
07 Apr 2019 11:37 #6 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: AP902
There are several posts on here (including mine) regarding problems with 5G on the AP902, in my case particularly with iOS devices but not exclusively. The frustrating thing is that in my case they work perfectly with the router 5G (a 2925ac) but the AP902 5G is severely problematic. I've been round the houses with support and tried all sorts of "fixes", none of which last for more than a few days at most. I've now given up and turned 5G on my 902's off. All is fine on 2.4G.