Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Firmware update to Vigor 130 modem and BT broadband issues

• bigbertie
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
21 Sep 2018 16:17 #1 by bigbertie
Hello...I'm a newbie! As background I also understand very little of the jargon and technicalities I'm afraid so really struggle making things work unless they can be put in very simple term!

I could do with some help please! I'm on BT broadband and had been using the latest Homehub/Superhub (6). what I found was that although it worked fine, the range wasn't very good...even in a timber house...and of late there had been signal drop outs, restarts and connection loss ...none of which happened when I first got the hub. So I thought I'd solve the coverage issue by investing in a Netgear Orbi 50 web router system and because I had read about issues with various modems, I plumped for the Draytek Vigor 130 modem.

All these have been set up and the system is working OK. Coverage is noticeably better although speed has dropped a bit (particularly upload that has dropped from around 19 to 13/14. The Vigor 130 firmware is V3.8.1.2 which is not the latest. There is a recommended update on the Draytek site which I have downloaded. But now I'm stuck! For a landlubber like me, the various notes on how to instal might as well be in a foreign language...I don't have a clue what to do or how to access the modem (I'm on Mac/IOS). I can't find anything that installs the upgrade automatically or that guides me through and am totally confused. Having spent days if not weeks in the distant past trying to get old windows things to work, I really don't want to get into that situation again so until I can get an idiots guide to upgrading, I've concluded that its probably best to leave the modem with old firmware rather than mess it all up!

I wonder if this is linked to why there's a drop in speed...download but particularly upload. So I don't know if upgrading the firmware might sort the speed drop as well? And if not, is there an obvious reason why this should be happening? My speeds with Homehub6 were around 65/19 but are now approx 56/14. Stability of the signal now is much better and as I say, the coverage from the router is much better too. But I feel I haven't finished the job but don't know how to do that in a foolproof way.

If anyone can help with advice I'd be very grateful. (I do still have a Windows PC if using that for changes would be easier but most of the time use Mac these days). Any tips and guidance would be very welcome!

Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2018 20:33 #2 by the pit
Presuming there's a ethernet port on the mac.
Download the firmware on a usb stick and unzip it. You want to use the all file the rst resets the draytek to the default settings.
PLug the draytek directly into the mac.
Open system preferences then networking. On the Ethernet adapter select configure manually
Enter an ip address of 192.168.2.x where x can be any number apart from one and not higher than 254
subnet mask set that to 255.255.255.0
Router to 192.168.2.1
The Ethernet should now connect
Open a web browser and type in 192.168.2.1
enter your user and password
Go to maintenance
if you wish make a backup
go to firmware upgrade and browse to the file
When finished it'll prompt you to reboot.
I just updated mine and the reboot from the bios update didn't work so I had to go back to the maintenance and choose the reboot from there.

• bigbertie
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
12 Aug 2019 15:42 #3 by bigbertie
I know this is very late in the day, but between posting my plea for help and you responding, I’d given up! So the firmware never did get updated until a few days ago I logged back on and saw your guidance notes! So I just wanted to thank you very much. I followed your guidance line by line and it all worked! Brilliant! Thank you so much. I wonder why the manufacturers don’t provide simple instructions like that and assume that everyone knows what they’re doing?! Anyhow, thanks again, perfect!