DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Help with setup of strict firewall (multi-WAN setup).

• logart
  • Topic Author
More
06 Oct 2018 06:46 #1 by logart
Hello, I just bought draytek 2926n device. I'm a noob in Networking so i want to ask for some help.

I need to run a server with 2 WAN lines (Cable modem and LTE usb modem) for failover. I need high uptime and security. I want to apply a strict firewall to a device in the LAN in specific. Meaning i want to close all the WAN>LAN and LAN>WAN ports, only allowing traffic to the ports i will need in that device.

I've read tutorials but i still don't get it :/

I was curious about VLAN and managed to assign 192.168.2.1 to the wireless LAN. Now wireless is LAN 2. I want to make a test in a wireless computer and see if i can block all blocks and only allow traffic on the ports i will want.

i will be really grateful if a get help :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• logart
  • Topic Author
More
10 Oct 2018 01:07 #2 by logart
Any feedback?

• hopkins35
  • User
  • User
More
10 Oct 2018 10:45 #3 by hopkins35
My advice would be to change the default firewall rule in Firewall >> General Setup >> Default Rule >> Filter from 'pass' to 'block'. This means that all inbound connections would be blocked by default. You can setup your allowed connections by creating new rules in the default data filter or create and name a new set. Inbound connections should be set as WAN -> LAN/RT/VPN, source ip would be any unless your only allowing from a fixed IP, destination ip would be your server's IP and service type would be the protocol and port or ports in question (source port would normally be 1-65535 with the destination port fixed e.g. destination port 443 TCP for HTTPS to a webserver)

• logart
  • Topic Author
More
11 Oct 2018 05:32 #4 by logart

hopkins35 wrote: My advice would be to change the default firewall rule in Firewall >> General Setup >> Default Rule >> Filter from 'pass' to 'block'. This means that all inbound connections would be blocked by default. You can setup your allowed connections by creating new rules in the default data filter or create and name a new set. Inbound connections should be set as WAN -> LAN/RT/VPN, source ip would be any unless your only allowing from a fixed IP, destination ip would be your server's IP and service type would be the protocol and port or ports in question (source port would normally be 1-65535 with the destination port fixed e.g. destination port 443 TCP for HTTPS to a webserver)

After i chose Default rule >> Filter form pass to block. All traffic was shut down from all my LAN.

Then i put the settings you told me, enabling port 443 TCP/UDP to see if chrome was working. Nothing..

I'm confused with source ip and destination ip. The ip of my device in the LAN is 192.168.2.10 that is the destination IP? and the source ip?

• hopkins35
  • User
  • User
More
11 Oct 2018 11:25 #5 by hopkins35
You've essentially run before you can walk by creating a VLAN. How many subnets have you got setup, do you have devices with IP addresses in the 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x ranges? If so, when you change the default rule from pass to block you will prevent the two subnets from communicating with each other. If you wish to keep your current setup, and I would advise against it until you understand the basics a bit more, you will need to create two LAN > LAN rules, both with address type set as Subnet Address and subnet mask as 255.255.255.0 and one will have the source IP address set as 192.168.1.0 and destination 192.168.2.0 and the other rule will be the reverse of that, allowing communication between the two subnets.

However I recommend that you ditch the VLAN and multiple subnets and concentrate on working out your firewall rules correctly. You can use the diagnose functionality of the firewall to see how a certain type of data will be handled, whether allowed or blocked.

If you keep your default rule set to block you will need to allow outbound communications by creating a rule that's set as LAN > WAN and leave all IPs and service types set to 'Any'. Bear in mind how the firewall will work - it will inspect where a data packet is coming from, where it's going to and what protocol it uses, it will then work it's way down your list of rules for instruction on whether to allow or block it. If you set your default rule to 'block', it will work its way through your rules and if it doesn't find a rule telling it to allow the connection then it will block it therefore if you have a rule 2 saying allow this and a rule 3 saying block this, it will be allowed because rule 2 comes first. It is therefore useful to have 'catch all' rules like allow all outbound LAN > WAN, mentioned above, at the end of a filter set or, even better still, in it's own filter set called 'catch all rules' or something like that. Also note that at the bottom of a filter set there is an option for 'Next Filter Set', make sure you set this if you have too many rules to fit in one set or if you create another like the 'catch all' set to organise them.

• logart
  • Topic Author
More
11 Oct 2018 21:51 #6 by logart

hopkins35 wrote: You've essentially run before you can walk by creating a VLAN. How many subnets have you got setup, do you have devices with IP addresses in the 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x ranges? If so, when you change the default rule from pass to block you will prevent the two subnets from communicating with each other. If you wish to keep your current setup, and I would advise against it until you understand the basics a bit more, you will need to create two LAN > LAN rules, both with address type set as Subnet Address and subnet mask as 255.255.255.0 and one will have the source IP address set as 192.168.1.0 and destination 192.168.2.0 and the other rule will be the reverse of that, allowing communication between the two subnets.

However I recommend that you ditch the VLAN and multiple subnets and concentrate on working out your firewall rules correctly. You can use the diagnose functionality of the firewall to see how a certain type of data will be handled, whether allowed or blocked.

If you keep your default rule set to block you will need to allow outbound communications by creating a rule that's set as LAN > WAN and leave all IPs and service types set to 'Any'. Bear in mind how the firewall will work - it will inspect where a data packet is coming from, where it's going to and what protocol it uses, it will then work it's way down your list of rules for instruction on whether to allow or block it. If you set your default rule to 'block', it will work its way through your rules and if it doesn't find a rule telling it to allow the connection then it will block it therefore if you have a rule 2 saying allow this and a rule 3 saying block this, it will be allowed because rule 2 comes first. It is therefore useful to have 'catch all' rules like allow all outbound LAN > WAN, mentioned above, at the end of a filter set or, even better still, in it's own filter set called 'catch all rules' or something like that. Also note that at the bottom of a filter set there is an option for 'Next Filter Set', make sure you set this if you have too many rules to fit in one set or if you create another like the 'catch all' set to organise them.

I reset the router and there's is no VLAN anymore.Went back to factory settings. I use 192.168.1.11 now, Default rule is on block. Still no luck.

I already tried with source ip ANY and destionation 192.168.1.11 in both rules.