Need 4G modem on LAN1 to failover to WAN1

• rpdmallett
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
06 Oct 2018 11:52 #1 by rpdmallett
Need 4G modem on LAN1 to failover to WAN1 was created by rpdmallett
So I have a Huawei B593s-22 (4G modem with ethernet) in the loft, and my Draytek 2860 next to my phone line downstairs. Both connected to the house network.

The 4G modem is setup for some users using the Routing Policy, so they get sent to LAN1 (and the 4G modem's gateway) instead of WAN1.

What I'd like to do is set the Failover for this Routing Policy, so that if the 4G modem fails, they get directed to WAN1 instead. (Much like you can set WAN1 to Failover to WAN2, etc.)

However, the Routing Policy settings don't allow this - the Failover options disappear if selecting LAN1 as the Interface to direct traffic to. Understandably, I guess, as the Draytek can't easily tell if the 4G modem is working or not.

Am I doing this right? Is this the only option for me? I know I can buy a USB 4G dongle and plug it into WAN3 / WAN4, but the reception on those things just isn't good enough for me.

Also, I can't find out if I can set the Huawei B593s-22 into PPPoE mode - as I could then use WAN2 for it. Anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks, Richard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rpdmallett
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
06 Oct 2018 15:12 #2 by rpdmallett
Replied by rpdmallett on topic Re: Need 4G modem on LAN1 to failover to WAN1
Actually, I found the best solution was to run another cable from WAN2 to the 4G modem and use it that way.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.