2830n AP902 Bridge Problems

• mike petty
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
30 Oct 2018 17:00 #1 by mike petty
2830n AP902 Bridge Problems was created by mike petty
I've been struggling with this issue for some time and not making much progress. Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

I need to set up a wireless bridge between a 2830n dual band router and an AP902.

I have tried two approaches, WDS and Station Infrastructure.

WDS Bridge
I have followed the following article to the letter (as far as I can given that the instructions are for a 2860, so some pages are laid out differently), but to no avail.
https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/ap-900-wds-bridge?highlight=WyJicmlkZ2UiXQ==&return=9270261

I have ensured that the Peer MAC Address is correctly configured in both the WDS and Access Control pages (I have Access Control turned on).

The router and AP each report that the link is down and there is no connection via the bridge. In addition to the router and AP showing no connection, I cannot ping from either side of the bridge to devices on the other side of the bridge.

Station Infrastructure
Using this mode in the AP902 has produced partial success. From the router side of the bridge I can ping all devices on the AP side. From the AP side I can ping all devices on the router side, EXCEPT for the router itself, 192.168.1.1. Hence, whilst devices behind the AP can access, say, the server on the router side of the bridge they cannot access the internet.

For the AP902, on the LAN>>General Setup page the following are set: Enable DHCP Client – off; IP Address – 192.168.1.17; Subnet Mask – 255.255.255.0; Enable VLAN – off; DHCP Server Configuration – disable server; Trust DHCP Server IP for WLAN – 192.168.1.1.

On the router, the address 192.168.1.17 is bound to the MAC address of the AP.

Any thoughts?

Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
30 Oct 2018 17:19 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: 2830n AP902 Bridge Problems

Mike Petty wrote: I've been struggling with this issue for some time and not making much progress. Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

You have my sympathies - I've been playing with recently (trying to avoid buying Powerline adapters, by using a pair of 2830n's in WDS mode).

The problem is, that when it's not working, there's absolutely no indication of why not :( ... I couldn't even get any clues via Syslog.

The key seems to be (at least for 2x2830n), making sure that the parameters match at each end (Wireless and key etc). It does say that the wireless channel has to be the same, but I think the 'advanced' parameters have to be the same as well. (It looked to Wifi Analyzer on my phone, like the two routers were on different channels - but it was the Channel Bandwidth setting.) I don't know for sure that this is what made my link suddenly spring into life, because when I saw the available throughput, I abandoned the experiment :cry:

(Use the "Add to WDS settings" button on the "Access Point Discovery " screen, to avoid adding the wrong MAC address (I had a few false starts in this area :roll: ).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.