DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

HELP - 2860 can't route our IP block over L2TP / 4G!

• whizzer
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Nov 2018 21:45 #1 by whizzer
Hi folks
Hope somebody can help. We moved office on Thursday and I'm using a 4G dongle as a stopgap until our FTTP arrives in about a month. The reception is great and the bandwidth is fine, so no issues there.

However, our mail server's MX record points to one of our blocks of six static IP addresses, which was routed to the VDSL line at our old premises. The 4G dongle won't be able to use this.

So I called our ISP who said "Don't worry, we have a service where we can route your IP block to you via an L2TP tunnel. Here's the login for you."

So I got a compatible dongle, got a data plan that works, plugged it into our 2860, set up the L2TP using the credentials supplied, and the tunnel logged on just fine.

Only trouble is that I can't work out how to set the router's public IP address. Currently it still seems to be the dongle's IP address.

Has anyone got any experience here? Can you help? I sense the answer is in the "TCP/IP Settings" pane at the very bottom of the L2TP tunnel setup page but can't be sure.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
05 Nov 2018 23:14 #2 by hornbyp
I've only heard of this being done - I don't have any practical experience ...

Wouldn't the ISP have to set up a NAT entry at their end of the tunnel, for 'your-public-IP':Port 25 -> 'LAN-ip-address':25 ? (i.e. the L2TP tunnel will be using NAT, rather than Routing?)

Fingers crossed you get it working - I sense it's urgent :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.