DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Maximum speed on WAN2 with 2862 router?

• turbot
  • Topic Author
More
14 Jan 2019 14:06 #1 by turbot
It is not clear to me whether a 2862 router can throughput 1GB of internet speed or not so I thought I would ask:
I am about to get a new router for a client who has a 1GB connection with Hyperoptic. Hyperoptic present their feed with ethernet.
So when I configure WAN2 what is the maximum theoretical speed that can be attained?
If not, are there any Draytek routers that can?
Thanks!
Ben

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2019 00:06 #2 by joners
Replied by joners on topic Re: Maximum speed on WAN2 with 2862 router?
Only the 3900 can do full gigabit and to be honest it’s old and expensive for what it has to offer, I wouldn’t be confident on it being able to maintain that speed once you start to build up the rule sets.

Personally I’d go with a PFSense (Netgate)!appliance far more feature rich with IPS/IDS etc. The SG-3100 should just about handle that. If you want to save some money and don’t want IPS/IDS then Ubiquiti’s Edgerouter 4 is cheap (£150) and incredibly powerful that will easily handle symmetrical gigabit links. Hell for the money you could buy two and setup HA (VRRP) and still save some cash. Some may note that the Edgerouter 3 will do full gig, and it will but it’s getting a bit old now and the 4 is its logical replacement.

Ref:

https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/5

https://www.ui.com/edgemax/edgerouter-4/

https://www.netgate.com/solutions/pfsense/sg-3100.html

• turbot
  • Topic Author
More
16 Jan 2019 13:18 #3 by turbot
Replied by turbot on topic Re: Maximum speed on WAN2 with 2862 router?
Thanks Joners.

I wanted a Draytek because of its inbuilt VPN functionality.
I started to go down the Ubiquiti router road, as they make good kit and are well priced but I think I need a secure gateway device as well to get both features...
Unless you know of an all in one?

Ben

More
16 Jan 2019 13:39 #4 by joners
The Edgerouter range supports VPNs, site to site and client so should do everything you want.

More
16 Jan 2019 16:42 #5 by admin
The DrayTek may be fast enough though... it's a compromise. He has 1Gb/s but does he need to actually use it?

Forum Administrator

More
16 Jan 2019 20:07 #6 by joners

admin wrote: The DrayTek may be fast enough though... it's a compromise. He has 1Gb/s but does he need to actually use it?

Very true, however it’s unlikely that you would pay for something that you don’t need.

What’s the compromise though?

Moderators: Sami