DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 166 availability

• smallal
  • Topic Author
More
16 Jan 2019 18:43 #1 by smallal
Vigor 166 availability was created by smallal
I've just read about the new Vigor 160 range of modems, anyone know when/if the Vigor 166 G.Fast modem will be released in the UK?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2019 18:08 #2 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Vigor 166 availability
Later in 2019. Q2 or Q3 earliest.

Forum Administrator

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
18 Jan 2019 15:33 #3 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Vigor 166 availability

smallal wrote: I've just read about the new Vigor 160 range of modems, anyone know when/if the Vigor 166 G.Fast modem will be released in the UK?

Is G.FAST available to you , have pods been fitted to telegraph poles in your area?

I wouldn't be rushing to buy any new equipment , G.FAST may never get to you, the roll out is being cut back and OpenReach are pushing FTTP/h .

G.Fast is only effective on the first 100 meters from the FTTC cabinet and I was told won;t be available on ECI cabinets.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/8143-openreach-to-scale-back-g-fast-roll-outs-as-full-fibre-to-take-priority

• smallal
  • Topic Author
More
18 Jan 2019 22:00 #4 by smallal
Replied by smallal on topic Re: Vigor 166 availability
I already have G.Fast, BT sent me the HH6XA router which is a piece of cr*p.
It's exactly the same as the BT HH6 but with a G.Fast input, need I say more!
Luckily I managed to get a MT992 modem from the Openreach installer & continue to use my old Draytek router with it.
However, a couple of people have done the same but had problems with their MT992 modems.
BT won't authorise a replacement as they insist you should be using the BT router that they supplied.
Hence the inquiry, a replacement for the MT992 might come in very handy for G.Fast subscribers.

As for the quote about ECI cabinets, its irrelevant as the new equipment bypasses the old VDSL cabinets.
My Superfast cabinet is ECI, but the Ultrafast pod isn't connected to it, the Ultrafast fibre goes directly into the pod.
I'm around 100m away and enjoy the full 330/50 service, the engineer who tested my line profiled it at 468mb max. down speed.
The real killer on older lines is aluminium cabling, it just doesn't work anywhere near as well as copper.
I believe BT will connect subscribers up to 300m from the box, though after about 200m they'll only supply the 160mb service.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
19 Jan 2019 06:59 #5 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Vigor 166 availability
Okay, lucky you)

So the OpenReach engineer who said no G.FAST in ECI equipped areas was a plonker.

I hope the Vigor when it comes delivers what you need.