3.8.9.3 on 2860

• andrewepugh
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
22 Jan 2019 19:07 #1 by andrewepugh
3.8.9.3 on 2860 was created by andrewepugh
I would not recommend installing 3.8.9.3 on the Vigor 2860 if you were thinking of doing so...

We have just upgraded to 3.8.9.3 from 3.8.4.5. and are having really weird issues. Downgraded it back to 3.8.4.5 and no problems.

Our simple setup.
Wireless Access Point (Netgear or Tenda) connected on LAN6 (VLAN'd for isolation) - Samsung Tab 2 connected via wireless to the WAP (2860 not the n version hence the need for an AP)

Teamviewer quick connect broken on every Android based tablet (won't connect to generate TeamViewer ID)
Trailapp.com (critical business resource) broken on every android tablet (cannot display page) resetting the cache in Chrome worked once but not again. Installed Firefox worked once but now refuses to connect.

They work fine on 3.8.4.5, broken on 3.8.9.3 on all our android tablets.
Appear to work fine on IOS devices (not tested extensively) but both my iPhone and iPad generate TeamViewer IDs and can access the Trailapp website...

I know of problems with 3.8.9.1 and 2 but I think 3.8.9.3 is also broken or am I missing a load of new 'features' introduced since 3.8.4.5?...

Just a warning to any inexperienced router users like myself who blindly trust Draytek to deliver quality updates.... treat firmware updates as something to test when you have a few hours free, not on critical systems and not on your clients networks.

Just saying be careful.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• prushmere
  • User
  • User
More
22 Jan 2019 19:40 #2 by prushmere
Replied by prushmere on topic Re: 3.8.9.3 on 2860

andrewepugh wrote:
...treat firmware updates as something to test when you have a few hours free, not on critical systems and not on your clients networks.

Surely that's always been the case with any update?

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
22 Jan 2019 20:53 #3 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: 3.8.9.3 on 2860
Presumably TeamViewer Support (who they?) can help diagnose the cause, so you can report the fault to Draytek....

(Haven't noticed any problems with 3.8.9.3 myself)

• andrewepugh
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
23 Jan 2019 13:30 #4 by andrewepugh
Replied by andrewepugh on topic Re: 3.8.9.3 on 2860
Possibly but more critically the trail app could not be left offline so time limitations made that route difficult.

After testing the lower FW and being happy with it I thought it was worth trying again with 3.8.9.3 so reflashed it using the same 3.8.9.3 FW file. On re upgrading that 2860 to 3.8.9.3 and re-importing my config file that was causing the issue - the same problems are no longer apparent, which is just odd. So running the 3.8.9.3 again now in the test environment waiting to see if it is stable. (a second 2860 also flashed to 3.8.9.3 is not showing my original issues either so it may be the case that the original upgrade didn't go on correctly on that particular 2860.... regardless confidence in our routers is not high at the moment.

• andrewepugh
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
24 Jan 2019 11:18 #5 by andrewepugh
Replied by andrewepugh on topic Re: 3.8.9.3 on 2860
Plot thickens, returned the working 2860 with 3.8.9.3 back to the shops location and connected it up and same issues again. It was fine on my VDSL and WAN2 interface at my office but as soon as it got back to the shop with ADSL connection problems arose again.

Note I have BT Fibre the shop has a third party ADSL connection retailing via a Talktalk reseller... whether that has anything to do with it i don't know. Downgraded back to 3.8.8_BT and working fine.

• anaglypta
  • User
  • User
More
24 Jan 2019 12:08 #6 by anaglypta
Replied by anaglypta on topic Re: 3.8.9.3 on 2860
TalkTalk block TeamViewer access as part of their security offering as I discovered after several weeks of trying to diagnose why I couldn't connect to one of my customers machines.

John.