WAN failover / failback issue

• weewoy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
24 Jan 2019 00:21 #1 by weewoy
WAN failover / failback issue was created by weewoy
Hello, just need advice – or possibly this may be a feature request…..

Anyway I have got 2 WAN connections.

WAN1 (VSDL) is Always active

WAN2 (Wireless broadband) is set to failover with a bandwidth threshold of 24mb down / 3mb up on WAN1
When WAN1 starts using 24mb+, WAN2 kicks in and starts Load balancing (doing session based balancing) – this works perfectly!

This setup is great for gaming, because WAN1 has a lot less latency. When there is an update on Steam or whatever, then WAN2 kicks in and I get the extra bandwidth!

However, here’s the problem – when the bandwidth eventually drops below 24mb, WAN2 disconnects and kills any client connections that have started running through it which can be annoying especially if you are gaming or accessing work remotely etc. It looks like there needs to be an option for WAN2 to drop once it is not being used or if all connections have been re-established on WAN1. WAN1 only spikes if there is a large download, then drops back to normal.

It would help if WAN2 would actually stay connected and only allowed traffic through it once the bandwidth threshold had been reached, and this would allow for connections to do a gradual failback to WAN1.

Watchguards can do this but they cannot do the session based load balancing for aggregated bandwidth, so I’d rather keep the Draytek.

Any ideas? Am I missing something?

Many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.