Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860n as modem - Sky Fibre Max

• benkay
  • Topic Author
More
28 Jan 2019 09:55 #1 by benkay
2860n as modem - Sky Fibre Max was created by benkay
Hi all,

I have a full Ubiquiti Unifi set-up at home.

Currently I use the BT Openreach modem --> USG-4-PRO Gateway --> 24 Port Switch --> 3 x UAC Wi-fi access points.

This works OK, I had to add some custom CLI instructions, so that the USG Gateway passes the appropriate Sky credentials through for a connection :

These basically get put in a boot.config file as follows :

ethernet eth2 {
address dhcp
dhcp-options {
client-option "send dhcp-client-identifier "customer@skydsl|abcd1234";”
default-route update
default-route-distance 210
name-server update

I would like to ditch the BT Openreach modem, and instead use a 2860n that I have left over from a previous set-up.

I have set MPOA/Dynamic IP to enable in WAN internet access settings, and enabled bridge mode.

I would have expected, therefore, the 2860n to act as a "dumb modem" and use the sent strings from the boot.config file of the USG Gateway...however, I cannot get any connection at all....the Gateway just shows an IP of 0.0.0.0 and it is not getting any kind of DHCP lease from the Sky service.

Can anybody assist in what I need to change between the BT Openreach settings, and the 2860n ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2019 21:49 #2 by gdawes
Replied by gdawes on topic Re: 2860n as modem - Sky Fibre Max
I have a similar issue with a 2862n.

Had it working with Sky/Now broadband .

Added a Unifi CSG between this and the UniFi access points. Set the 2862 into bridge mode , added the DHCP 61 info and can't get it to connect ipv4 or ipv6

the ipv4 don't bother me as can route or work around that, But the ipv6 config and not getting the lease from the ISP directly via DHCP on the CSG has frustrated me all day.

Did find this post on a unifi help page
"I found the solution to our Draytek problem.The Draytek and the USG will fight for authentication.I found this out because my ISP told me that the node was receiving authentication requests from two different MAC addresses which correlated to my devices.To resolve the issue you need to specify a fake IP so the Draytek stops trying to get one from the node...To be honest I'm really disappointed with Draytek for not putting this on their website or writing it into their firmware because the whole point of bridge mode is to bridge the connection. t"

Wondering which IP to fake and where ???
Also the full bridge mode seems greyed out. so trying with normal bridge mode on ipv4 and ipv6 settings.

• saqqara
  • User
  • User
More
31 Jul 2019 08:26 #3 by saqqara
Replied by saqqara on topic Re: 2860n as modem - Sky Fibre Max
Have you checked out - https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/sky-fibre-setup-guide

More
31 Jul 2019 12:28 #4 by gdawes
Yes that guide is perfect and works for a connection where the Draytek is the firewall and main gateway.
Issues start I believe with google home or ubiquiti wifi and ipv6, where something downstream is wanting to be the ipv6 gateway/edge device or serve ipv6 IP's.
Solutions advise to put the draytek router in 'modem' mode or bridge everything. but that does not seem to resolve it.
Issue only affects ipv6 clients, behing a downstram device, eg unifi AP, or google home AP.

More
02 Aug 2019 18:28 #5 by gdawes
I am also confused how you disable the inbuilt ipv6 dhcp client in ipv6 bridge mode.
What option do you choose in the drop down of ipv6 connection types?
it can't be ppp as that needs ppoe

I think my issue may be the built in client grabs an ip before my downstream device does even in bridge mode.