Using a second 2860 on WAN2

• david_39
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
28 Jan 2019 22:50 #1 by david_39
Using a second 2860 on WAN2 was created by david_39
I happen to have a spare 2860 which I keep in case the main one goes down. I've just decided to install this on my second VDSL line. I've set it up with WAN2 using PPPoe - no problem and it works fine.

However what I would like to do is to access its GUI from the first 2860 on WAN1. I've read the article entitled "How to access Vigor 130 in bridge mode" and wondered if it would be possible to do the same using the second 2860.

I configured it exactly according to that article but, although I can access the GUI via WAN5 I can no longer logon to the ISP on WAN2. Before trying to set this access up, the VLAN tag on the second 2860 was set at 101 which is normal. The article says to reset it to zero and put the 101 tag into the WAN2 configuration on the first 2860. As soon as I did that the second 2860 lost its logon to the ISP but I could access the GUI. But if I set the tag on the first 2860 back to zero and the tag on the second 2860 to 101 then I can logon as usual but I lose the access to the GUI.

Is this to do with differences in the architecture between the 2860 and the 130?

Of course I could connect my computer to one of the LAN ports on the second 2860 but this entails changing the computer config to use the fixed IP on the second 2860 because it has to have DHCP turned off! Too much of a fiddle if I want to go from one to the other quickly!

Can anyone shed light on this problem?

Thanks in advance, David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2019 10:35 #2 by admin3
Replied by admin3 on topic Re: Using a second 2860 on WAN2
Using a 2860 on WAN2 gives you a lot more flexibility in how you set up the VLANs than you have with the Vigor 130. Try setting up the WAN2 without a VLAN again on the router 2860, then set up WAN5 with maybe VLAN tag 20 or something.

On the modem 2860, keep that in Bridge mode for its WAN, but set the VLAN tag for its WAN back to 101.
Enable VLANs and set up each LAN port as a member of VLAN0 & VLAN1, with VLAN1 linking to LAN2 with a VLAN tag enabled and set to 20. Then set up the LAN2 interface with the IP range you'd like to use for management on the router 2860.

Once that's all rebooted and connected back up:

• The router 2860's WAN2 should work with no VLAN

• The router 2860's WAN5 would be management mode, DHCP with VLAN tag 20

• Modem 2860's WAN1 is set up in Static/DHCP with Bridge mode enabled and VLAN tag 101

• Modem 2860's LAN2 has VLAN tag 20

That should allow you to get Internet on WAN2 and access the modem 2860's LAN2 IP address for management / diagnostics.

Forum Administrator

• david_39
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
29 Jan 2019 21:36 #3 by david_39
Replied by david_39 on topic Re: Using a second 2860 on WAN2
Many thanks for those clear instructions but I'm afraid the problem is still there. I can access the GUI via WAN5 but if I can do that then I can't logon to the ISP on WAN2. I've checked and rechecked what I've done.

One thing I wasn't sure about was that, when I enabled bridge mode on the modem 2860 it wouldn't let me continue unless I changed the bridge subnet to 3 or above. Is this correct? But otherwise I could configure everything exactly as you suggested.

I can't help feeling I'm very close to the solution - but can't quite get there!

David

More
30 Jan 2019 09:13 #4 by admin3
Replied by admin3 on topic Re: Using a second 2860 on WAN2
Are you using Bridge mode, or Full Bridge mode? Because full bridge works differently from regular bridge and might break the VLAN configuration you're trying to use. If so, try setting the WAN to regular Bridge mode instead and see if that helps.

Forum Administrator

• david_39
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
30 Jan 2019 11:34 #5 by david_39
Er, there doesn't appear to be a full bridge mode. Just a box with "Bridge mode"! IS there something I've missed?

Perhaps I need to update the firmware. I'm running on 3.8.6_BT but I have downloaded the most recent.

David

• david_39
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
01 Feb 2019 18:46 #6 by david_39
At last! Solved!!

In the article "How to access Vigor 130 in bridge mode" it advises changing the WAN internet access on the modem 2860 (well, actually the 130) to MPoA/Static or Dynamic. Well, just now, as a last resort, I thought I would try changing it back to the original PPPoE/PPPoA - AND IT WORKS!

Grateful thanks to admin3 for his help. I wouldn't have got there without it. I'm sorry it took me such a long time to think of changing back to PPPoE/PPPoA.

There's only one more thing I want now but I don't think it's possible. With the Vigor 130 one can display the stats from the modem on the physical connection page of the router underneath the window for Line 1. Doesn't look to be possible using a second 2860. Yes, I do have "respond to external device" ticked on the management page.

David