DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Smart monitor on PC - firewall blocking remote connections?

• puregeordie1
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
01 Feb 2019 15:21 #1 by puregeordie1
Hi, Just installed smart monitor and it all appears working fine. I can connect into the PC from any computer on the network using that PC's IP address and browsing a connection to it, It only works when I switch the firewall off on that PC where the smart monitor is installed. Has anybody any ideas what I need to add or disable on the firewall to enable other PC's on the same network to connect into this PC running smart monitor.

Again, I am only able to connect into it when the firewall it switched off. I have tried adding various programs into the firewall, namely smart monitor, apache and any other program it appears to use to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated on this. Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• puregeordie1
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
06 Feb 2019 08:35 #2 by puregeordie1
Just thought I'd ask again, Many many thank you's. :)

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
07 Feb 2019 00:30 #3 by hornbyp
Are you talking about the Apache web interface? ... that seems to default to port 80 if installed as a sevice, or 8080 if run on-demand.

You may be talking about something totally different - I wouldn't know, 'cos I can't get this product to install and run properly. I think that's the conclusion I came to, last time I tried it :cry:

• puregeordie1
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
07 Feb 2019 13:55 #4 by puregeordie1
Hi, thank you for replying, it defaults to port 80 yes correct but something in the firewall is blocking it from other PC's if I try to connect into the web interface?

I have no idea what it is. Tried switching off every setting individually in the firewall to no avail!

Have to switch the firewall off for it to work from other PC's trying just to browse the smart monitor web interface on that PC running it.

Anybody else please, thanks.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
07 Feb 2019 14:53 #5 by hornbyp

puregeordie1 wrote: it defaults to port 80 yes correct but something in the firewall is blocking it from other PC's if I try to connect into the web interface?

I have no idea what it is.

The Windows firewall blocks inbound, unsolicited connection attempts by default. So you are missing a rule to allow it, rather than there being something in there that's blocking it.

You can add exeptions by program name, or, more conventionally, by port / address. The former is easier, though potentially less secure.

Lots of "howto's" on the web, eg: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-configure-windows-7-firewall

• puregeordie1
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
08 Feb 2019 10:47 #6 by puregeordie1
Correct I know, and thank you for reply but that comment was no use to me whatsoever, but thanks anyways :) . I know I have to add something somewhere and that is my problem if you look at my original post. I'd like to think I know how to use the exceptions in the firewall.

I have tried adding all sorts of programs related to smart monitor to allow it through the firewall to no avail.

Anybody else please, thank you.